Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
New member here with a 2010 VN900 LT.

Got the bike a month ago with only 25 miles on the clock so basically a brand new bike.

Anyway, the bike is slowly leaking coolant and it is hitting the garage floor about 3" forward of the crankshaft centerline.

If anyone can point me in a direction to find the origin of the leak I'd be awfully thankful.

THX

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If it's under warranty (and I assume it would be if it only has 25 miles on it. If you bought it new less than 12 months ago it should be under warranty!) I'd be letting the dealer take care of it, rather than messing with it.

But, either way, considering it sat stagnant for two years, a loose hose clamp is entirely possible. Check your hose clamps and such. Also, look waaayy up underneath the tank and see if the fill cap is loose. That happened to me a while back. Was able to reach up and tighten it, but check that out. Actually it sounds like you are leaking in the same spot I was so I'd definitely check that. It's a little cap where some hoses meet underneath the fuel tank, it's just a radiator cap like you'd have in an old car (one that's filled via the radiator instead of filled via the overflow)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2009 - bought it from dealer in 2011. With less than 1500 miles I noticed coolant around the fins and eventually underneath the
engine. Turns out it was the hose clamp - since it was under warranty I took it back to the dealer and they added a second clamp. I guess setting on the showroom floor for such a long time has it's downsides. Not to worry - it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2009 - bought it from dealer in 2011. With less than 1500 miles I noticed coolant around the fins and eventually underneath the
engine. Turns out it was the hose clamp - since it was under warranty I took it back to the dealer and they added a second clamp. I guess setting on the showroom floor for such a long time has it's downsides. Not to worry - it's an easy fix.
Same here my dealer says it happens pretty often with the 900's, probably just hose clamps.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Someone told me once that those hoses can 'harden' at an accelerated rate when the bikes sit for long periods of time without having hot coolant circulating through them. So then they don't 'seal' as well. Dunno, but it sounds logical right? Who knows.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey Jeep,
Since you are in Canada; I am guessing your temps have gotten pretty cool. That is when a lot of leaks start popping up. It is when mine did.
That is good news, because it is most likely a hose connection.

It should be warranty work. If you want to take that much time with it.

Coolant usually leaves a light greenish white trail, that will indicate where it is leaking.
Get a socket that fits the screw head on the clamp, I had a hard time trying a screwdriver. Just make sure you don't over-tighten by putting a lot of force on it.
Make sure you tighten the clamp that has the leak; and while you are there you might as well tighten all of the hose clamps you can find.

It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts