Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm not a fair weather only rider proper gloves are important. I probably have 12 to 15 pair and none that really do a good job. The best I have came from a little local leather shop but I still need something better. They have to be thin yet well insulated and allow for excellent dexterity. I ride my 4 wheeler hard in the winter when the weather just won't do for riding a bike like in 2 feet of snow and the worst crap imaginable and even mittens do for that because I'm only concerned about throttle and brake levers and not real concerned with brakes. The bike with it's lights, turn signals and such just aren't designed for cold weather use. No matter what glove I use I blow the horn just about every time I use the turn signals. That's why I wear fingerless gloves with jell palms in the summer. Anybody tried anything that they thought worked well?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since I'm not a fair weather only rider proper gloves are important. I probably have 12 to 15 pair and none that really do a good job. The best I have came from a little local leather shop but I still need something better. They have to be thin yet well insulated and allow for excellent dexterity. I ride my 4 wheeler hard in the winter when the weather just won't do for riding a bike like in 2 feet of snow and the worst crap imaginable and even mittens do for that because I'm only concerned about throttle and brake levers and not real concerned with brakes. The bike with it's lights, turn signals and such just aren't designed for cold weather use. No matter what glove I use I blow the horn just about every time I use the turn signals. That's why I wear fingerless gloves with jell palms in the summer. Anybody tried anything that they thought worked well?
Gerbing G3 heated gloves. Work great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The big thing for me is retaining as much dexterity as possible. Liners with yet another pair of gloves defeats that goal. The Gerbing products I've looked at also gave one that michelin man feel. The best I have found so far are a leather outer with a very thin thinsulate liner that is bonded to the inside of the leather. They allow for fair dexterity and feel but I can't help but think someone offers a thin, possibly self contained electrically heated glove. That is my other issue with the Gerbing as they leave you tethered to the bike. Now most of us have a hard enough time remembering to cancel turn signals so I can't imagine it being long before I would forget to unplug when I get off and rip the wiring loose.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check Cabellas, they have hunting gloves operated by battery (D cells). The batteries are contained in a pocket on the Gauntlet. What you will sacrifice is the protection offered by motorcycle gloves.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got a pair of Bilt Storm gloves from Cycle gear last week. Rode with them Saturday morning when it was only 35 - 40 degrees, and was pretty pleased. They were still somewhat stiff, but no probs with cold. Have not gotten them wet yet, but they are on sale, and were like $30 or less.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it or not, I was looking at these goofy looking things at 3 o clock this morning (couldn't sleep) and wondering, should I or shouldn't I. With the gloves I have now and these things I think I might be good but MAN they are goofy looking.

tjhfwtx I mean no offense but I've had Bilt products before and there is a reason they're not very expensive. Hope yours serve you well though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No offense taken. For $20 I will use them while I look for something else/better, and keep them as a backup or passenger pair until they wear out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been looking at these on Amazon ($190). Expensive, but I love riding this time of year.

TourMaster Synergy 2.0 Electric Leather Gloves

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense taken. For $20 I will use them while I look for something else/better, and keep them as a backup or passenger pair until they wear out.
If you find something good lemme know. Like I said I have 12 to 15 pairs that range from fairly good to crap already.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I not sure cause have never tried them.
Would a set of heated grips work for you?
I not sure cost either but wouldn't have to worry about plugging in or unplugging all the time.
Some wind blockers and heated grips sounds like a winning combo but not sure.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Believe it or not, I was looking at these goofy looking things at 3 o clock this morning (couldn't sleep) and wondering, should I or shouldn't I. With the gloves I have now and these things I think I might be good but MAN they are goofy looking.

tjhfwtx I mean no offense but I've had Bilt products before and there is a reason they're not very expensive. Hope yours serve you well though.
Well, they are goofy. But, the do help a lot!
If you haven't seen them on a bike, here are a couple of pics.

Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scott, thanks for the pictures on this. Definitely helps the discussion. I'm sure they're awesome, but I don't think I could do it. Maybe if I could simply un-clamp them when I parked the bike. A permanent fixture though, not so sure.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Scott, thanks for the pictures on this. Definitely helps the discussion. I'm sure they're awesome, but I don't think I could do it. Maybe if I could simply un-clamp them when I parked the bike. A permanent fixture though, not so sure.
They mount on the mirrior posts; so when you put them on in the winter, you want to leave them on until spring.

Last winter I would ride to work in the morning with the temps in the upper 30s; without the ugly wind deflectors I would not have been able to.
Then in the afternoon I got to ride home in nicer temps.:)

Yes! They are ugly! But, they REALLY extended my riding season.

Scott

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am warming up to the ideal. My trip to work is 25 miles and the mornings are starting to get a bit cold. Research continues....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scott thanks for the pics. Goofy and expensive for what they are things will be here soon. I've used hand guards on my 4 wheeler but they didn't last long. Hopefully I won't be running the bike through the brush at high speeds though.

Gotta ask where the lower pic was taken. Is it up in north Texas? Looks like a rest stop I made some time ago on my way to New Mexico. I know they all look similar. Just wanted to satisfy a curiosity.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am warming up to the ideal. My trip to work is 25 miles and the mornings are starting to get a bit cold. Research continues....
They worked for me.
I have a 25 minute ride to work with most of it at 65mph. By the time I got to work my hands were starting to get a little numb. No pain though.

I took a pleasure ride in the high 30s one time. After about 40 minutes my hands went from numb to painfully cold.

This was with cheap winter gloves.

I was also impressed with the half chaps I got from the leather outpost.
http://www.bikerbabesleathers.com/Leather-Half-Chaps-Motorcycle-Leggings_p_192.html

Scott

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Scott thanks for the pics. Goofy and expensive for what they are things will be here soon. I've used hand guards on my 4 wheeler but they didn't last long. Hopefully I won't be running the bike through the brush at high speeds though.

Gotta ask where the lower pic was taken. Is it up in north Texas? Looks like a rest stop I made some time ago on my way to New Mexico. I know they all look similar. Just wanted to satisfy a curiosity.
The pic is at the overlook of Morris Sheppard dam on Possum Kingdom lake.

It is kind of out of the way, so I don't think it is the rest stop you were at.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts