Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
So I've noticed some clear fluid below the carburetor and on the idle rpm adjuster (or whatever the little black valve is called). This has been happening on and off since I got the bike. I check the oil and gas and none is missing. It is always just a few drops. Lately, I've noticed green fluid coming out of the area close to where the antifreeze tank connects to the radiator. I can't say exactly where from. Again, a few drops and I don't see that the level is decreasing. So I'm guessing that both the antifreeze leak and the gas/oil (I'm still not sure what it is but I'm suspecting gas) leak are pretty slow.
I did a test and after cleaning the bike, I let it stand over the long Thanksgiving holiday without riding or moving it. I even placed an absorbing towel below the carburetor. After 4 days and nothing is leaking. Today I drove it to work (37F or 3C weather) and when I got to work after a 15 minutes ride, there is a few antifreeze drops all over the area of the front of the engine. I looked in with a flashlight and can't see an active leak.
I'm wondering if the cold weather is making the leakage worse.

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Cold weather shouldn't be causing any coolant/fuel leaks or making leaks worse. No leaks on my bike and I ride in cold weather.
Carb leak - smell it - if smells like fuel it's overflowing or leaking somewhere.
Coolant leak - It leaks when you ride it because the pressure is building up inside cooling system. O'ring(s) need replacement or bolt re-torquing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome!

Cold weather shouldn't be causing any coolant/fuel leaks or making leaks worse. No leaks on my bike and I ride in cold weather.
Carb leak - smell it - if smells like fuel it's overflowing or leaking somewhere.
Coolant leak - It leaks when you ride it because the pressure is building up inside cooling system. O'ring(s) need replacement or bolt re-torquing.
Thanks for the detailed answer.
The carb leak is fuel and it seems to be coming from the left one. I will try to take it out, clean it, and replace the O'ring and whatever worn parts there and see if it helps.
For the coolant leak, I can't really see where it is coming from because it only happens while riding. I thought it was coming from somewhere from the top, close to the gas tank where I don't have clear view because I shined a light in and saw drops there. But because this only happens while driving, it means that they might have gotten there because of the wind or the speed of the bike. I know there is a way to build pressure in the system and try to see where it is coming from, but I don't have the equipment. Are there any common places that coolant leak arises from?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thermostat housing o'ring is bad.
O'ring between thermostat housing and filler neck is bad.
Cracked/pinched hose.
Loose clamps.
Bad coolant pressure cap.

I gave you all the possible causes for leaks on that top-end area. If you saw leaks up there with a flashlight, leak is on that top-end area.
My guess is that either pressure cap is bad, some clamp there is loose, or clamp pinched hose, causing small leak when pressure builds up.

You don't need any equipment. When coolant dries out, it leaves colored residue and that area is kinda protected from wind, I am sure you'll find the leak source just with the flashlight and close look.
Mine was leaking when I bought it, found out that the clamp on a hose connecting filler neck and radiator was loose.

Cooling system on this bike is simple and easily accessible once you remove the fuel tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thermostat housing o'ring is bad.
O'ring between thermostat housing and filler neck is bad.
Cracked/pinched hose.
Loose clamps.
Bad coolant pressure cap.

I gave you all the possible causes for leaks on that top-end area. If you saw leaks up there with a flashlight, leak is on that top-end area.
My guess is that either pressure cap is bad, some clamp there is loose, or clamp pinched hose, causing small leak when pressure builds up.

You don't need any equipment. When coolant dries out, it leaves colored residue and that area is kinda protected from wind, I am sure you'll find the leak source just with the flashlight and close look.
Mine was leaking when I bought it, found out that the clamp on a hose connecting filler neck and radiator was loose.

Cooling system on this bike is simple and easily accessible once you remove the fuel tank.
Thanks a lot!
I was worried that the bike's movement or wind might get drops of coolant higher up and then it will be harder to understand where the leak is coming from. I will take the tank off this weekend and check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts