Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '12 Vaquero won't go into gear or gets stuck between gears when the engine temp is cold. Once the engine warms all the way up, it's fine. However, I just got back from Alaska and when we rode in the rain or it was chilly and the road was wet, my temp gauge would almost peg to the cold side and the bike wouldn't shift until I pulled over and let it rewarm. Any body else having this problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it serviced in Fairbanks at a Kawasaki dealer and they put kaw synthetic in it. They said nothing was wrong and just let it warm up longer. That does work but when it rains, the engine cools down and it won't shift. I'm assuming the kaw dealer put the correct oil in it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
the dealer put in 10w40 synthetic? or 20w50, if 20w50 there's the problem

·
Registered
673 Posts
You would think that the crank case would stay warm after warm up.The Synthetic should help.
I'm with "btom". You might call the dealer up in Fairbanks

You could have a stuck open thermostat, preventing the bike from maintaining temp.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Worse hot: Symptom of rich. Worse cold: Symptom of lean. Worse in higher gears: Symptom of rich. Worse in lower gears: Symptom of lean.
I just threw that in here, don't know if it's your symptom or not, ignore it if it's not.
What I would do is when going out just let the bike idle a bit longer to warm things up some, it might be fun to just wait a bit longer for the bike to warm up, then when waiting you can be sipping a nice coffee or reviewing your map or talking to a stranger or just looking around at stuff around you and planning your ride, maybe there's nothing wrong with the bike and it's just cold natured

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I may have just discovered the advantage of Harley have the transmission and clutch oils separated from the engine oil. :)

To the OP. How many miles on the bike?
When was the clutch fluid last changed? Might not be your problem, but might be additive with stuck open thermostat, and wrong viscosity oil.

Oh, and how did the stock suspension handle the roads to Alaska?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
ya Harley has an advantage, I agree, you can putting different grade/type oil into each.
you thinking of taking a trip to Alaska?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
ya Harley has an advantage, I agree, you can putting different grade/type oil into each.
you thinking of taking a trip to Alaska?
I am planning to finish my lower 48 this year. Have some work trips to Canada the next year, and might try to add some vacation time and pick up Alaska. Just not sure if I should trade the Trophy SE for a Super Tenere, or the new Honda VFR based adventure touring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts