Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So even down here in Houston it's cold in the mornings. I try to ride everyday, but my hands are freezing on the mornings when it is below 40, and when it gets down in the 20's I usually wimp out. I'm debating either getting heated gloves or getting some wind deflectors for my hands. The wind deflectors are cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about wiring up or charging a piece of gear every morning. But I'm not sure about the look of the deflectors, I have a custom and I've tried to keep it more minimal and sleek.

Glove I'm considering
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.php

Deflector
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75585

So opinions from anyone who's gone either route or both routes?

Am I missing a better option for either of them?

For the deflector, those are the only ones that say they fit a custom, but they only go to 2009, think they'd fit a 2011?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
When it's below 40 here I started wearing silk glover liners under my weather proof gloves. Works well down to about 30 degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Yes ... variable temp heated grips

·
Registered
702 Posts
blast from the past

"back in the day," there was a product called Hippo Hands, made by Craig Vetter, the same guy who made tons of fairings for the bikes of the '70's and '80's. There are still some imitators around today, Google them. I've got a pair of the imitators on my V2K.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I too wimp out in the low 40s. Even then I use the chemical warmer packs stuff into the gloves on the back of my hands. They help some, but the finger tips still get cold.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I ride a vaquero and bought a pair of grabber battery powered gloves 4aa batterys it was a waste of money if you want a good pair of glovesexpect to spend $190 on them. I reserched alot of gloves and only the exspencive ones has wires that go down to the end of your fingers. I had better luck with a pair of leather thinsulate gauntlet gloves with a army surplus wool liner. The battery ones work to about 35 degrees with a good charge and don;t last long on high. Thats my expereance others may have alot better luck or know a better way of doing it if so let me know. Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
The thing to remember with cold temperature is layers layers layers. The more the better. To a point of course, you don't want to sweat. That's not good. Freeze Out makes an entire suit for this. Cycle Gear carries it. I use it. It works.

'06 Clasic 1500 T6 Ann Ed

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Heated gloves are a good investment.

You hit a wall at a certain point (for me that's around 35-40F). At that point, if you put on more gloves it becomes difficult to feel and control switches, but if you don't your too cold, only solution there is electricity!

When it's above that, I wear deerskin lined leather gloves and a pair of silk thermal gloves underneath.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, back when I didn't have a car and I needed to make a long trip in the cold I would get a thin pair of knit gloves, then put a pair of latex gloves over those, then put on my insulated leather gloves. The latex gloves helped create an air barrier that worked pretty well.

But I was looking for a little more elegant solution. I have an hour drive each morning. I don't mind low 40's, that's what it was today and my hands were cold but it wasn't bad. When it gets down in the 30's it's painful by the time I'm halfway there. When it's in the 20's it's painful after about 5 minutes.

The heated gloves I'm looking at aren't cheap, they do heat down through the fingers. So I imagine that would help, but they are $170 plus another 99 if I want the batteries instead of wiring them into my bike. I'm pretty sure those would do the trick.

I'm not sure about the hippo hands muffs, those seem like they would be awkward. Also the heated grips seem to be operating from the wrong side, I don't know how well that would work for the outside of my hands. I may look at finding a good thermal liner to try first.

I saw one post give the deflector a plus, anyone put them on a 900 custom?

·
Registered
454 Posts
When it's below 40*F, and I just "have to" ride, I wear a pair of ski-gloves with a pair of "mechanics-gloves" or "jersey-gloves" underneath. My hands stay warm at highway speeds with a naked bike. As stated above; layers, layers, layers.

P.S. ~ I ride at once a week unless roads are slippery. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
The 3 reasons I don't get electric are:
1) I think it's cheating to have folks think you are rugged when you are not by pampering yourself with electric heat.
2)If I'm far away from home and the electric stops working,I'm screwed.
3)I am afraid of black ice and feel that if I get too comfortable that I will forget that it is very cold out and I will not see the ice.
Instead I wear mittens,silk liners,& now have wind deflectors on my winter bike.

JJ

·
Registered
70 Posts
This may sound stupid but it works...insulated gloves with or without thin liners and cayean pepper powder!!! simply sprinkle a bit in each finger the action of movement from your fingers causes a reaction and keeps each digit warm.i used to use this in my boots and work mitts when others where getting out of the cold in -35 degree weather I was toasty I have used this on the bike in November Canada! It works....learned it from an old war vet they would know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts