Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this helps...

Here is a comparison of the H.P./torque increases over stock mufflers of those slip-ons performed on two totally stock Vaquero's on my dyno.

@1500 RPM......COBRA +1.2 HP/+4.4 PNDS ......V&H+1.3 HP/+4.5 PNDS

@2000 RPM......COBRA +.6 HP/+1.4 PNDS...........V&H +.7 HP/+1.6 PNDS

@2500 RPM......COBRA +2.1 HP/+4.5 PNDS...........V&H+2.2 HP/4.7 PNDS

@3000 RPM......COBRA +2.8 HP/+5 PNDS............V&H+3.7 HP/+6.4 PNDS

@3500 RPM......COBRA+3.2 HP/+4.7 PNDS..........V&H+4.5 HP/+6.7 PNDS

@4000 RPM......COBRA +2.2 HP/+2.8 PNDS..........V&H+4.4 HP/+5.7 PNDS

@4500 RPM......COBRA +2.4 HP/+2.9 PNDS ..........V&H+4.5 HP/+5.2 PNDS

@5000 RPM......COBRA +2.4 HP/+2.5 PNDS ..........V&H+4 HP/+4.2 PNDS

@5500 RPM ......COBRA 2.6 HP/+2.4 PNDS............V&H+2.6 HP/+2.4 PNDS

The Tri ovals are a far more restrictive slip-on as they do not have a straight thru core as does the V&H slip-ons. The V&H's are deffinately louder with more of a "bark", the Tri ovals are very mellow in comparison.

We just modified a Vaquero with the Tri-ovals, a BAK and PCV, we did not get the gains in peak power as I have seen due to the Tri-ovals restrictive design. My modified Cobra round slip-ons I had on last year with straight-thru baffles to replace the restrictive baffles that came with those slip-ons made more power thru the whole rpm range, these big twins need to BREATH!!

Bottom line, if you want an increase in power, both brands will do just that. It then comes down to cost, appearance, sound levels and how important the actual power increase over stock that is provided by each slip-on.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
636 Posts
I knew I bought the right pipes and that proves it. The Vance and Hines do have a bark to them love them. Now I just news BAR and a dyno tune and I will be set. Thanks for the info Ray!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
14 Posts
How much louder are the V&H than the Cobras? My bike came with the Cobra Billet Tip Slip-Ons from the dealer. I have no comparison to how much louder than stock they are or how much louder the V&H are on top of that.

Are the V&H noticeable louder than the Cobras? If I want louder, is it worth the money to switch or is the difference not enough to warrant spending the cash?

·
Registered
636 Posts
pipes

My vance and hines are loud only when you get into the throttle hard. They are not annoying loud but the are really deep and throaty. I have never heard the cobras so I cant compare to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am using the pcv map from pc website, for the set up I have right now. Is it better to dyno tune? Am planing on installing a air kit later and rays throttle mod

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dyno tune is expensive but worth it. The bike will make more power and get better mpg. Auto tune cost about the same as a dyno tune. It's all what your choice is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ray - Thanks for taking the time to post this up. Interesting to see how large a difference there is from 3-5k. Obvious the V&H flow a bit better if all other parameters are equal.

Also interesting to see how they peak out identically at 5500. Cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dyno tune is expensive but worth it. The bike will make more power and get better mpg. Auto tune cost about the same as a dyno tune. It's all what your choice is.

I been reading the ups and downs of the auto tune trying to weigh out if the cost is worth the auto tune. Thank you for info!!!

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much louder are the V&H than the Cobras? My bike came with the Cobra Billet Tip Slip-Ons from the dealer. I have no comparison to how much louder than stock they are or how much louder the V&H are on top of that.

Are the V&H noticeable louder than the Cobras? If I want louder, is it worth the money to switch or is the difference not enough to warrant spending the cash?
The slip-ons you have, the round bodied ones are very quiet, quieter than the Tri-Ovals and the V&H. I had those exact s/on's on my skoot and was not happy with the sound and the performance until I removed a restrictor plate from the baffle, then they were ok. They are better than stock, and louder also.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
14 Posts
The slip-ons you have, the round bodied ones are very quiet, quieter than the Tri-Ovals and the V&H. I had those exact s/on's on my skoot and was not happy with the sound and the performance until I removed a restrictor plate from the baffle, then they were ok. They are better than stock, and louder also.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the reply Ray. Did you keep the Cobras after you removed the baffles or did you switch to the V&H? Maybe I'll try removing the baffles first, if its not too difficult, and see if I like it any better.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply Ray. Did you keep the Cobras after you removed the baffles or did you switch to the V&H? Maybe I'll try removing the baffles first, if its not too difficult, and see if I like it any better.
B4 you do anything, call me at my shop so I can explain the basic mod to perform. I can talk MUCH faster than I can type!!:eek:

RACNRAY

954-455-9665

1 - 12 of 12 Posts