Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2011 nomad 1700, anyone put slip-ons on this bike if so can you give me a walk through?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I have a 2011 voyager and just put V&H slip-ons on a couple months ago. I was a little anxious about it, but it turned out (just like a few of the gurus on this group told me) to be a fun project and rather easy at that.

1. remove saddle bags - Voyager has 3 bolts for each
2. loosen the heat shield on right side; remove the heat shield on the left side
3. loosen the clamp that is at the slip-on/head pipe connection
4. remove the stock mufflers - do this by removing the 2 bolts that hold muffler/slip-on to brackets on the bike. obviously do one side at a time. be careful when separating the muffler form the head pipes, to preserve the seal gasket. if all goes well, the seal gasket will remain inside the head pipe
5. when removing the left side / crossover muffler, a 2nd hand can be useful. However I found it wasn't as bad doing it solo as I thought

then...

6. place slip-on in place; again be careful as you insert the end into the header pipe due to the seal gasket in place in the head pipe
7. attach the 2 bolts to secure the slip-on to the bike
8. tighten the clamp at the slip-on/head pipe joint
9. polish up nice before starting the bike to remove any oil and dirt before you heat them up

once a slip-on is in place

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is a good video on you tube done by two guys from the forum, buylocal, comparing the cobra slip ons and the v&h ones, with sounds and install....ride on....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Took me about 45 minutes. Mostly because I had to finesse the left side exhaust gasket to come off the stock muffler without damaging it. It is an easy job.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked at you tube with the brothers form nashville area, can see the left side heat shield and cross over pipe and bags have to come off. Looks like a nice day under the bike.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just looked at you tube with the brothers form nashville area, can see the left side heat shield and cross over pipe and bags have to come off. Looks like a nice day under the bike.
45 minutes and that is tsking your time. The bags come off in under 1 minute each

·
Registered
894 Posts
Real easy job . . . If you block out a whole day for it, take off the headers and wrap them while you're at it! You will love the look and sound of the Tri Ovals!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Changed pipes took about 1hr with set up and clean up they sound good and look good thank you all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just sliped them on and went, you get some back firing if you let off quick dealer ship said normal for 1700. So if you are in 3rd going from 50 to 30 at about 35 -37 you can get some back firing. Itfeels like you can be 10-15 miles higher in a gear and it feels right. BUT THE SOUND AND POWER YOU GET MAKES IT FEEL LIKE A NEW AND DIFFERENT IN A GOOD WAY BIKE. MAKES IT EVEN MORE FUN TO RIDE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts