Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I guess I am venting or maybe even sticking up for the members here in my own stupid way. I called Cobra and talked to a Tech. to get my direct take straight from the Manufacturer before my FI2000r arrives.

Bare with me, so anyhow your threads and insight on the subject of setup and settings to match are in depth, explanatory, and descriptive. So I knew my setup to be would be like most, not exact but very close.

Cobra Swepts(already on for months) fine as is stock, no fuel processor needed

Adding Thunder Mfg Tornado Intake, so already know will need a fuel processor for that additional upgrade. Bottom line, like most aftermarket intakes they are using a K & N filters or something close too. Almost every 900 on here with aftermarket exhaust and intake is running 2-2-1 or 2-1-1 never said every, certainly could see a bike in Colorado Mountains needing something a bit more, but most. Anyhow told the Tech. this just to feel him out and he starts in with, the HELL NO attitude NEVER adjust from the 4-2-0 factory setting until run for some miles.

I am crazy, wrong, or stupid. First thing I think is Sir, maybe your full of it, I explained there are a ton of members out there and I would say it safe to say 95% Min. are running one of the settings above. My instinct was to lay back into him and say why should I not use the true and tried experts(900 riders and members) are you smarter than them? I did not. Just bothered me a bit because too me you fellow members have already covered the 95% rule.

Okay off for a beer, but I think I will start at 2-2-1 and go from there unless you guys agree that I am crazy :eek:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You make adjustments for YOUR bike for YOUR riding conditions.
Trying to follow set rules will not dial in YOUR machine.

A dyno tune is the best way to do that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well maybe I was a bit wrong then

So you basically are saying do what the Tech said. Run it at 4-2-0 factory settings and change from there?

Will do if that is the majority vote, just seemed like every 900 is running 2-2-1 or 2-1-1. I suspect 4(setting 1) is going to overload the fuel right away, but I admit you guys that have gone through this know better than me.

You make adjustments for YOUR bike for YOUR riding conditions.
Trying to follow set rules will not dial in YOUR machine.

A dyno tune is the best way to do that.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You have to start from somewhere, but this is not a one size fits all or a set and forget deal. That is why there are adjustments in the first place and what works for one does not mean it works for all.

If you do not do a dyno run, be sure and perform spark plug readings along with monitoring driveability and mileage to get the settings where they belong.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small rural area

Well think we got this knocked out. Going to do some test runs get to the best I can. Luckily and just recently a small shop has setup and does do Dyno Testing. They will do what they call a base run with print outs for $65.00 so most likely hook up with them. I live in what most would say a small rural area so lucky to even have somewhere to go within 100 miles. Not real sure what a base run and print out will get me just yet, but I guess I will figure that out.

thanks again

You have to start from somewhere, but this is not a one size fits all or a set and forget deal. That is why there are adjustments in the first place and what works for one does not mean it works for all.

If you do not do a dyno run, be sure and perform spark plug readings along with monitoring driveability and mileage to get the settings where they belong.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
A base run is good, but I am confused...are they saying that they cannot dial in your bike for you?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe they can

I believe it was in the way I asked. I explained already running Cobra Swepts and about to add the Thunder Mfg Tornado, that I knew I would also add in the Cobra FI2000r and wanted to Dyno the bike to get the best performance. Explained I knew I could go by sound and feel on runs on the bike, which I am sure get the setting close but wanted to know if they could or would Dyno it to see if I reached the best settings.

So when I set my appointment I will now be armed with a bit more knowledge ask them if the $65.00 include the Dyno run, print out, and adjustments, adjustments being the key part if needed.

A base run is good, but I am confused...are they saying that they cannot dial in your bike for you?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you

Appreciate your help on this. Maybe 2-3 weeks but will post up the results.

If they know what they are doing, you should be pleased with the results!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts