Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes on my '07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I bought the Hard Kore Quiet baffles for them (http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520.html) but am having problems with the installation. The installation instructions say to drill a new hole in the original baffles for the set screw, but this requires rotating the baffle slightly from its original orientation when inserting the baffle back into the pipe. The problem is that the back 1.5" or so of the baffle is angled very slightly and rotating the baffle even a little bit results in the baffle not being able to be inserted fully into the pipe.

Does anyone else have any experience with these smartpartz baffles? Did you have the same problem?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a set of Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes on my '07 Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I bought the Hard Kore Quiet baffles for them (http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZCB22520.html) but am having problems with the installation.
Thanks for any help!
Sorry can't help you yet, I have the same pipes on a used 07 Vulcan 900 classic that I just purchased and its a bit noisy for me.
I don't like the popping or backfire.

Did you get this installed and how do they work, I'm thinking of getting some.

thanks, Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wrote to Smartpartz the same night I posted here. Here is the reply I got from Smartpartz:

"Drill the hole within a 1/4" of the original hole and there should be enough movement to rotate the baffle a very small amount.
You could utilize the original hole but then if you decided you did not like our baffles for some reason you would have to secure the original baffle with a screw and a nut.
Also, using a little bit of WD40 upon reinstallation on the baffle sometimes works wonders.
The slashdown baffle does have a slight bend towards the end.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Chris
Customer Service
Smartpartz.com"

I wound up using the original hole on the baffle, but that required removing the small piece of metal that's welded to the inside of the baffle that had the original threaded screw hole. I just took a flat blade screwdriver and pried it out a good ways then braced the screwdriver against it and used a hammer to knock it off. Then I could insert the Smartpartz baffle and line it up with the original hole. Of course, this ruined two $35 baffles in case I decided I didn't like the Smartpartz...

It was still a very tight fit in the pipe and I took their advice with the WD-40. I had to use a file on the original baffle to get the Smartpartz insert to sit flush against the end. While inserting it into the exhaust, I had to use a pair of pliers to push the baffle in and position it so it lined up with the hole in the exhaust. I used a small mirror to help me see the screw hole on the back side of the exhaust.

I got it installed yesterday and it's been rainy and windy here since then, so I haven't had a chance to take it for a test ride. Revving it up in my garage, it seems to have a lower growl than the original baffle by itself. I've tried the Cobra Quiet Core baffle and didn't see much difference over the standard baffle. The Smartpartz seems like it's much lower pitched, but I need to take it out for a ride to really know how it will perform. I'll post a followup as soon as I do.

PS: Be sure to use locktite on the screws if you do anything to your baffles. Those pipes vibrate a lot and you'll eventually lose the screws if you don't. I lost the tip on one of my pipes that way. Another $35 lesson...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wrote to Smartpartz the same night I posted here. Here is the reply I got from Smartpartz:

"Drill the hole within a 1/4" of the original hole and there should be enough movement to rotate the baffle a very small amount.
You could utilize the original hole but then if you decided you did not like our baffles for some reason you would have to secure the original baffle with a screw and a nut.
Also, using a little bit of WD40 upon reinstallation on the baffle sometimes works wonders.
The slashdown baffle does have a slight bend towards the end.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Chris
Customer Service
Smartpartz.com"

I wound up using the original hole on the baffle, but that required removing the small piece of metal that's welded to the inside of the baffle that had the original threaded screw hole. I just took a flat blade screwdriver and pried it out a good ways then braced the screwdriver against it and used a hammer to knock it off. Then I could insert the Smartpartz baffle and line it up with the original hole. Of course, this ruined two $35 baffles in case I decided I didn't like the Smartpartz...

It was still a very tight fit in the pipe and I took their advice with the WD-40. I had to use a file on the original baffle to get the Smartpartz insert to sit flush against the end. While inserting it into the exhaust, I had to use a pair of pliers to push the baffle in and position it so it lined up with the hole in the exhaust. I used a small mirror to help me see the screw hole on the back side of the exhaust.

I got it installed yesterday and it's been rainy and windy here since then, so I haven't had a chance to take it for a test ride. Revving it up in my garage, it seems to have a lower growl than the original baffle by itself. I've tried the Cobra Quiet Core baffle and didn't see much difference over the standard baffle. The Smartpartz seems like it's much lower pitched, but I need to take it out for a ride to really know how it will perform. I'll post a followup as soon as I do.

PS: Be sure to use locktite on the screws if you do anything to your baffles. Those pipes vibrate a lot and you'll eventually lose the screws if you don't. I lost the tip on one of my pipes that way. Another $35 lesson...
Thanks, very good description and how you installed them.

I have order a set of these, all I want is for them to tone the noise down just a little and add some back pressure to help reduce the popping noise.

I listened to some stock pipes and they sure were quit compared to these Cobra's.
Since I never rode a stock bike I don't know if there is a power gain that goes with all the noise.

Let me know what you think of them after a ride.

thanks, Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, very good description and how you installed them.

I have order a set of these, all I want is for them to tone the noise down just a little and add some back pressure to help reduce the popping noise.

I listened to some stock pipes and they sure were quit compared to these Cobra's.
Since I never rode a stock bike I don't know if there is a power gain that goes with all the noise.

Let me know what you think of them after a ride.

thanks, Jim
As a follow up I received these baffles and installed them in my Cobra pipes.

The install was very easy and I could not be more happy with them.

It toned the noise down just a little to a lower bass sound and eliminated most all of the popping noise.

To me it is now just perfect and still plenty loud to be noticed.

-Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a follow up I received these baffles and installed them in my Cobra pipes.

The install was very easy and I could not be more happy with them.

It toned the noise down just a little to a lower bass sound and eliminated most all of the popping noise.

To me it is now just perfect and still plenty loud to be noticed.

-Jim
I finally got a chance to go for a ride yesterday. I had the same experience. The Smartpartz baffles were noticebly quieter than the original baffles by themselves. They were also quieter than the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. To be honest, the pipes are still a little louder than I'd like at highway speeds, but at least my ears no longer ring like I've been at a rock concert after half an hour of riding.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I finally got a chance to go for a ride yesterday. I had the same experience. The Smartpartz baffles were noticebly quieter than the original baffles by themselves. They were also quieter than the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. To be honest, the pipes are still a little louder than I'd like at highway speeds, but at least my ears no longer ring like I've been at a rock concert after half an hour of riding.
I have a set of Speedster shorts that are way to loud. I bought a set of Smartparts baffles, but bike is apart for another month or so, so I haven't tried them. Anyway I also got a set of used Cobra quiet baffles from a guy that didn't like them. I've heard different opinions on which one sounds better and or quiets exhaust down. I was wondering if anybody has tried putting the Smartparts baffles on the Cobra Quiet baffles? If so does it quiet down to reasonable levels? I don't like loud pipes but I don't want to go back to stock exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a set of Speedster shorts that are way to loud. I bought a set of Smartparts baffles, but bike is apart for another month or so, so I haven't tried them. Anyway I also got a set of used Cobra quiet baffles from a guy that didn't like them. I've heard different opinions on which one sounds better and or quiets exhaust down. I was wondering if anybody has tried putting the Smartparts baffles on the Cobra Quiet baffles? If so does it quiet down to reasonable levels? I don't like loud pipes but I don't want to go back to stock exhaust.
I actually didn't think to try that. I bought my bike used and it already had the Cobra pipes, otherwise I'd just have the stock pipes. I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles and was not satisfied, so I tried the Smartpartz Hard Kores (which are made to mount in the ends of the original baffles. The Hard Cores worked much better for me.

It looks like the Hard Kore baffles would probably fit in the ends of the Quiet Cores, so that may be a viable option. Also, the Quiet Cores don't fit as snuggly into the pipes as the original baffles, so you can probably drill the hole for the Hard Kore anywhere around the baffle so that if you don't like the Hard Kore on it, you can remove it and still use the original screw hole.

Dang it. Now I want to pull the baffles back out and try this. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually didn't think to try that. I bought my bike used and it already had the Cobra pipes, otherwise I'd just have the stock pipes. I bought the Cobra Quiet Core baffles and was not satisfied, so I tried the Smartpartz Hard Kores (which are made to mount in the ends of the original baffles. The Hard Cores worked much better for me.

It looks like the Hard Kore baffles would probably fit in the ends of the Quiet Cores, so that may be a viable option. Also, the Quiet Cores don't fit as snuggly into the pipes as the original baffles, so you can probably drill the hole for the Hard Kore anywhere around the baffle so that if you don't like the Hard Kore on it, you can remove it and still use the original screw hole.

Dang it. Now I want to pull the baffles back out and try this. lol
I know I want you to do it :p I've been looking into it all now and just found this thread which made me very happy :p If you do try combining both quiet baffles (since you have them already) I'd love to hear the results.

So far it seems like the Smartpartz Hard Kores are a little quieter then the Cobra quiet core baffles which are just a tad below the stock Cobras. I love the look of the cobras (which came with my bike also), I'd just like quieter, no desire to have a loud bike. If a combo of the Smartpartz Hard Kore plus Cobra quiet core baffles are noticeably quieter then just the Smartpartz, that'd be great. Thanks for starting this thread

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've already got the Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles and the Cobra Quiet Core baffles installed together. I have my bike partially apart so I haven't started it yet to see how it sounds. Since I've only ridden my bike with the Cobra's and standard baffles for ~30 minutes at most last fall, I don't know how well I'll be able to compare just from starting it. I'll have to put some miles on to see if they're quiet enough for me. I'll post back probably sometime in April and give my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I started my bike yesterday with the Cobra Speedster shorts that have the Cobra quiet core baffles and Smartparts hard core baffles installed together. I really like the sound, I hope they are quiet enough when I actually take bike out for a long ride. I didn't run either baffle by itself so I can't say I like one better than the other, but they sound good together. Definetly quieter than the stock baffles. I'll post again after I get some miles on them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got around to trying the Smartpartz Hard Kores installed in the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. It's definitely quieter than the Hard Kores installed in the original baffles, especially at highway speeds. However, I'm not sure that it's worth the extra $75 to get both sets of baffles.

If your Cobra pipes are too loud for you, my recommendation would be to get the Smartpartz Hard Kore baffles first. If they are still too loud, buy a set of Cobra Quiet Core baffles and use them together with the Hard Kores. The Quiet Core baffles by themselves, however, didn't really make enough difference to my ears for me to recommend them by themselves.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've got my bike out on the road, only about 100 miles with the Smartpartz Hard Kores installed in the Cobra Quiet Core baffles. It's still to loud for me, I'm going to try some packing around the Cobra Quiet Baffle. Not sure I can get much in there but hopefully it will help.

I agree it may be expensive to buy both baffles, but I got my Cobra Quiets used for $25-30 so it wasn't as bad as buying both sets new.

I haven't used either of the two quiet baffles by themselves, so I can't recommend one vs the other.

My recommendation is stick with your stock exhaust and drill or do the debaffling to get the sound you want. Obviously that's if you like the looks of the stock pipes or aren't interested in the little additional hp aftermarket exhaust will supply at a very large cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed the cobra quiet core baffles in my new Cobra speedster longs befor I put on the pipes. They are pretty loud but it is a low tone loud. My friend says it sounds kind of like a V-8 hot rod. I am wondering about putting the Hard Kore baffles along with the Cobra quiet cores but wonder if that would give the engine too much back pressure. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Spudmonkey, I had Smartpartz Hard Kore quiet baffles mounted in Cobra Quiet core baffles in my Cobra Speedster shorts, and I don't think there is any issue with doing this. Yes, there will be a little more back pressure than the you have now, but it probably isn't anywhere as much back pressure as the stock exhaust. I did notice a slight loss of power but I don't think it was significant. You'll still be making more power than stock and it will be somewhat quieter. I ended up going back to the drilled stock exhaust because even with the 2 quiet baffles, it was just to loud on longer rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sent back my Cobra quiet core baffles to Dennis Kirk and got a refund less shipping fee (8 bucks) because the tone got into my helmet and drove me nuts. I am running stock baffles on the Cobra Longs now and they are somewhat louder but the tone is not as bad. I have on order the SmartPartz baffles and hope they tame them down a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am happy now.

Installed the Smartpartz quiet baffles in my stock baffles on Cobra longs. I can say that I am happy with the sound as it is quieter during idle and while running down the highway at 70. Make no mistake though, when I hammer down on it, it is loud. Still have some popping during decel but not as loud. It didnt seem to have any effect on power but I havent rode it on hills or anything other than straight road. I made a mistake on install and drilled the hole straight across from original hole and had to drill another due to the tab on smartpartz hitting nut on original baffle. I would have taken the nut off but didnt want to tear up original baffle. The extra hole wont hurt anything anyway as the whole set up is back inside pipe. I installed the end caps on the longs and you dont even know the smartpartz are in there unless you bend down and look. But you aint got no business looking up my tail pipe anyway..............george

·
Registered
441 Posts
Installed the Smartpartz quiet baffles in my stock baffles on Cobra longs. I can say that I am happy with the sound as it is quieter during idle and while running down the highway at 70. Make no mistake though, when I hammer down on it, it is loud. Still have some popping during decel but not as loud. It didnt seem to have any effect on power but I havent rode it on hills or anything other than straight road. I made a mistake on install and drilled the hole straight across from original hole and had to drill another due to the tab on smartpartz hitting nut on original baffle. I would have taken the nut off but didnt want to tear up original baffle. The extra hole wont hurt anything anyway as the whole set up is back inside pipe. I installed the end caps on the longs and you dont even know the smartpartz are in there unless you bend down and look. But you aint got no business looking up my tail pipe anyway..............george
Spud, did you notice a significant increase in noise with the standard cores? I have heard a few 900's with the long pipes and they are quieter than my stock slashdowns. I want to get the hard cores and the quiet cores. The 1st day I road to work with just my full face helmet my right ear was killing me. I have been using ear plugs and my full face.

Going from stock cores to the hard cores how much noise did you lose?

RS900C: you went back to your stock modified exhaust system. Do you still have the quiet cores and hard cores and are you interested in selling them?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is what I did. I ordered the Cobra Speedster Longs and the Cobra quiet core baffles at the same time. I removed the stock baffles from the new pipes and installed the Cobra quiet cores befor I even installed the pipes on my bike. It was quite a bit louder than stock exhaust and the problem was that it got into my helmet and drove me crazy. I then removed the Cobra quiet cores and installed the stock baffles. They were louder but more easy on my ears going down the highway (the tone in my helmet was not as bad). I still wanted quieter so I ordered the Smartpartz and installed them. Idle was more quiet, running down the highway was more quiet, and when I roll the throttle it will turn heads. I am happy with it because I dont have the tone in my helmet and it still sounds like a cruiser should.

RS900 , I sent the Cobra quiet cores back to Dennis Kirk and they gave me a refund and I am using the smartpartz. Hope this answers the questions.

Cruiser, the stock cores are louder than the quiet cores but not by much. The smartpartz were a lot quieter than the cobra quiet cores and about the same price. Smartpartz also gives you 30 days to try them and will refund the money if you are not happy.

·
Registered
441 Posts
RS900C: you went back to your stock modified exhaust system. Do you still have the quiet cores and hard cores and are you interested in selling them?
I was asking this question to RS900C

1 - 20 of 21 Posts