Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else has them? I am literally tearing up the end caps on mine for 2 reasons. #1) is when backing up to curbs they are so long and low that they hit most curbs. And when 2 up and cannot see very well when parking. #2) they also drag when leaned over too far in certain circumstances. usually when turning a tight corner and there is also a good dip that compresses the suspension.

Kind of bummed to say the least, they are less than 6 months old and $600 pipes. Really wishing now that I would have went with either the shorts or the slash downs (for cobras anyways). Really like the Vance and Hines better now tho.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't ride 2-up very often, but sometimes my daughter will ride with me, or my one girlfriend (you should see people trying to understand the dynamic when two chicks get off of one bike, and then one of those chicks is clearly with the guy on the OTHER bike. LMAO), but the pipes on my Road King stick out a bit there being the bags and fender. I make sure the nobody is sitting on the bike when I back into a spot. That was, I can see exactly where my pipes are.

Are far as scraping in leans - well, sometimes Things scrape when you lean. I've just learned to accept that. LOL.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't ride 2-up very often, but sometimes my daughter will ride with me, or my one girlfriend (you should see people trying to understand the dynamic when two chicks get off of one bike, and then one of those chicks is clearly with the guy on the OTHER bike. LMAO), but the pipes on my Road King stick out a bit there being the bags and fender. I make sure the nobody is sitting on the bike when I back into a spot. That was, I can see exactly where my pipes are.

Are far as scraping in leans - well, sometimes Things scrape when you lean. I've just learned to accept that. LOL.
Live and learn I guess. And i suppose not having the passenger on would work when backing in, due to the sag on the shock and all. But what happens when you do have clearance under pipes and then passenger hops on and pipes go down onto curb anyways? I have accepted it, that they won't be new forever of course. I was just whining! I'll get over it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Live and learn I guess. And i suppose not having the passenger on would work when backing in, due to the sag on the shock and all. But what happens when you do have clearance under pipes and then passenger hops on and pipes go down onto curb anyways? I have accepted it, that they won't be new forever of course. I was just whining! I'll get over it.
No not winning - valid concerns! You just have to make it clear to any backseat passenger: "You you don't get on this bike until I say it's OK to get on the bike". That gives you a chance to get situated, and move the bike up a few inches.

It's a routine that we have down when I have to ride with him. Even when there's no curb behind, you don't necessarily want to be mounting and and dismounting when you're parked wheel-to-wheel with a bunch of other bikes. So, you pull up a bit, and then get on!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is the bike lowered? Can you stiffen up the rear shock a little? I have speedster slashdowns on my Custom so little different, but have never gone close to scraping them, even 2 up.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the bike lowered? Can you stiffen up the rear shock a little? I have speedster slashdowns on my Custom so little different, but have never gone close to scraping them, even 2 up.
Not lowered per say. They just stick out past tire a smidge. And its s little worse of course due to the angle when backing up to curb, that also puts pipes closer than the tire so the will hit 1st. Ride 2 up and loaded most of the time. Gotta take everything but the kitchen sink when we ride ya know? LOL, I like to be prepared for all weather conditions no matter how far the trip.

If they get too bad I can always just get a replacement end cap for the bottom pipe too. Just going to have to change our routine a bit like HRH suggested.

Attachments

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not winning - valid concerns! You just have to make it clear to any backseat passenger: "You you don't get on this bike until I say it's OK to get on the bike". That gives you a chance to get situated, and move the bike up a few inches.

It's a routine that we have down when I have to ride with him. Even when there's no curb behind, you don't necessarily want to be mounting and and dismounting when you're parked wheel-to-wheel with a bunch of other bikes. So, you pull up a bit, and then get on!
Good suggestions HRH, looks like I have to change our routine a little.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries! Glad I could help!And, that totally should have been "whining", and not "winning" - silly auto-correct! :D
Whining can be winning! If that's what it takes to get your way then by all means! LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking at your picture, I don't understand how that exhaust would drag before the floorboards... are you sure it's not the floorboards scraping?

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its rare but if. Happened last weekend on a real tight corner that a dip in the road. Mid turn the bike lunged down while I was at a pretty good lean. Looked the next day and the scrape on end of pipe and cap is about 1.5" long. So pipe was dragging on the front edge of the dip when the tire road thru it. Hard to explain, but I didn't feel it in the boards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You boys love to load your bikes up with gadgets and gizmos don't you .... Seems to be a real culture in U.S. to do that. Not saying there is anything wrong at all, just looking at your picture there Mr. Loud, you've got some gear on-board there.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know it. I will have to upload another pic when I get back to my PC. I got another set of speakers in there now too. Lol

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish, lol. Got those in my cage. I do have some infinity 6.5" speakers tho I have in mind to put in the saddle bags. Bit I just added 2 more Polk 4" speakers to inside the windshield and a 2000w 4 channel amp. Finally getting good push and enjoying my tunes. Sure wish I could upload pics from my phone.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You boys love to load your bikes up with gadgets and gizmos don't you .... Seems to be a real culture in U.S. to do that. Not saying there is anything wrong at all, just looking at your picture there Mr. Loud, you've got some gear on-board there.
It's the American Way!

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All loaded up, front and rear. LOL

Had a great 4th of July vacation. Hit many southern WI back roads this weekend. Finished up our Rustic Roads Tour so we can now get our patches from the state. Woot!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got Speedster longs, and scrape them all the time. I've sort of just resigned to it...it happens, and you can't see the scrapes unless you look underneath anyway. It scrapes more than just the tips, so to really fix it, you'd have to replace the whole heat shield too. I'm just lucky I bought mine used :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts