Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

So recently I got around to completing stage 1 mods, adding a Cobra PowrFlo & Dobeck EJK in addition to my V&H Slash Staggered's (with quiet baffles). Have had them altogether for at least a few hundred miles at this point, and am enjoying the full package.

More recently, last couple rides I noticed when I come to a stop, or turn off the engine when I get home, there's white smoke that slowly starts emanating from the air filter, sometimes more obvious than others. Last ride I tried leaving an intersection when the light turned green and I stalled and enough white smoke came up for me to immediately say WTF. I turned it back on and made it home fine, but needless to say was a bit concerning. Besides the smoke, I'm not getting any performance issues, weird sounds or anything else to indicate a problem otherwise.

So to anyone with the same or similar aftermarket air filters (Barons BAK?), does this happen to you? To be clear, I know oil overflows a bit into the air filter, and I do see speckles of fluid beneath the it and some on the inside after taking the assembly off. Just want to be sure it's nothing more than overflow oil and heat from the engine/filter and not something else like a coolant or gas leak or even the k&n filter acting up. Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.

Pic for reference (before it started smoking). I call him Conan.
Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
If the bike is not showing any other symptoms, that it just might be the air cleaner design. Since that is a recent addition to your bike, I'd keep an eye on it..The issue may become more pronounced as the weather warms up. I have the stock air cleaner on mine, so I don;t see these issues. If I didn't know any better, you sometimes see this in autos where a high flow air cleaner with a short run from filter to intake, can sometimes allow atomized fuel to drift out when the engine stops running.

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Managed to catch it on video, this time I stalled out just sitting at a light. As you can see it happened with no warning, but was able to start it back up immediately and get home.
screenshot after it stalled and I looked down. This was about a minute away from home.

I've taken the air filter off and am going to clean it as it was oily inside and the top of the filter was already looking a bit dirty. I checked the oil level and it was on the upper end of the fill lines, but I'll probably take a little out to get closer to dead center. Going to check the spark plugs tomorrow.

I'm curious if the overflow oil that is spitting out there is accumulating in the filter then getting sucked in where it shouldn't when I'm stopped? Or if my breather hose is clogged or obstructed somehow? Or if it's possible my EJK settings might have a factor in this at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jbiggers More like oil, can't say it smells gassy.

I definitely saw a speckles of oil beneath the filter after it stalled. Like the engine choked on the oil and coughed it out. Didn't happen until about 15 minutes after I got the freeway (was on there for about 10) putting around side streets trying to catch or recreate this.

Given that the Cobra filter doesn't have a little oil bulb/reservoir like the stock air filter, I'm thinking that maybe the excess oil is accumulating enough to get sucked in where it shouldn't. Besides reducing the oil level, do I have any other options besides maybe relocating the crankcase breather? Advice about crankcase breather relocation <-- as one example

1 - 5 of 5 Posts