Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with the 1700 engine running the Cobra Power Pro did you notice any increase in fuel mileage? I'm running Cobra Tri Ovals and the stock air box on my 2012 Nomad. Although I would not turn down a little extra power and a little smoother power band, I'm more interested in a bump up in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am running Cobra Tri Ovals, Cobra Power Pro, and Thunder MFG air kit on my 2013 Voyager. I get about the same mpg as stock when I run 93 octain gas, but I get a 3 mpg increase when I run 87 octain gas. The 3 I installed work really well for me and the bike feels much more responsive. I also modified the throttle grip which is kinda like putting a hair trigger on a gun, quicker response.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found some other threads on this topic and it appears to be a mixed bag of results. My problem is that I was getting over 40mpg at the pump while in Florida. We have been up in Illinois for about 3 weeks and my mileage has dropped to about 34 at the pump. It appears to be running about the same as in Florida so I'm a little confused. I just wonder if it's a fuel difference!?! Perhaps my bike doesn't like being this close to corn (ethanol). Heading west in a little over a week, I will be interested in if a change of location makes any difference. This one has me puzzled!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think there is a big difference in fuels. On a recent trip I filled up at one gas station and saw a noticable increase in mpg compared to the other fill ups on that trip. I filled up with the same octain at all the stations (93 at that time).

·
Registered
14 Posts
The quality of gas could be one of a few factors. The lower altitude in Florida and humidity level differences might also be a factor in gas mileage, along with flatter terrain in Florida (?).

·
Registered
92 Posts
WOW gas mileage on 2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 with Cobra Exhaust and Power Pro Digital Commander. Says it is 44 miles per imperial gallon. I can not believe it. Does it only in spring when weather is cool and moist and in fall when same conditions come into effect. In regular hot weather summer conditions usually runs at about 14.5.

http://youtu.be/KDHsG_uEPzQ

·
Registered
440 Posts
im running power pro, tri-ovals and k&n filter and between fillups im getting 39.7 mpg, same as stock. thats no highway.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Since I no linger live where it is 180 miles between gas stations, Gas mileage is no longer a concern.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I no linger live where it is 180 miles between gas stations, Gas mileage is no longer a concern.
I'm usually of the same philosophy Bubba however we are riding this bike to Alaska a year from July and from what I've heard 180+ miles between gas stations could be a reality. After my wife packs her side bag and the trunk, I would rather be able to pack some clothes and not a gas can in my side bag. The trip is in the planning stage right now so gas may not even be an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Those of you with the 1700 engine running the Cobra Power Pro did you notice any increase in fuel mileage? I'm running Cobra Tri Ovals and the stock air box on my 2012 Nomad. Although I would not turn down a little extra power and a little smoother power band, I'm more interested in a bump up in fuel mileage.
The best method to achieve what you are looking for is to be able to incorporate ALL methods of fine tuning. Me being an old guy with decades of experience that means tuning for the correct air fuel ratio and guess what...
IGNITION TIMING.

The 1700's respond very well to proper fuel injection tuning, and they also respond favorably to ignition timing changes. Incorporating both aspects of fine tuning will allow you to obtain the best performance and mpg.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
894 Posts
Since putting the big three on mine, including the power pro I have got anywhere from 31.9 mpg to 46.6 mpg as calculated at the pump. Overall in the 10,000+ miles I have ridden it with the big three, I have averaged 36.6.

Mileage is directly proportional to the wrist + temp, terrain and traffic . . . . but with the miles you run, you knew that already!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Gas mileage is also in direct proportion of how much fun you are having......

Works on both ends of the scale. I love riding these back country/county roads here where the speed limit is 55 mph. I get between 50 and 60 mpg on those. When I get on the turnpike with the 85 mph speed limit.... 30 mpg or less... Both roads are fun....

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dr.G don't feel to bad I have the same set up on my last 2 bikes nomad and now vaquero. Both got lousy mileage. I average around 30 mpg with tri-ovals, tornado air kit, and the cobra power pro. Before I install the power pro the best I ever got was 34-35 mpg. The 1700 really doesn't respond well to having any kind of a heavy hand on the throttle. This is my experience. I find it hard to believe there are some getting mid to upper 40's or better gas mileage than that. Even kawasaki only has a EPA estimate of 36 mpg. So it sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I drive conservative I can get 180 miles on 4.3 gallons (41.86 mpg). That is about the best I've done so far. That is using 6th gear at 50 mph and above, 70+ degrees, one up no load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts