Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of these pipes, primarily for the added HP they are claimed to have, for use on my 900 Classic LT. But, I don't like loud pipes and would like to know how folks are dealing with that issue on their bikes.

My research indicates several methods, including using exhaust wrap on aftermarket or Cobra Quiet baffles. What I've seen so far is the Cobra quiet baffles, Smart Partz Hard Kore Quiet baffle, and Big City Thunder baffles. Some folks talked about the possibility of using 2 sets of aftermarket baffles to quiet them down.

I'd like to hear from you folks that have these pipes and what you've used to make the sound levels satisfactory.

I like the looks of the Power Pro model better than the Power Pro HP model and I am assuming, from what I've read, that other than looks, the 2 models have identical performance. If that's not correct, I'd appreciate correction.

thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
I love the sound of my power pros, around town they are not too loud IMHO and at 70 the wind is louder, at least to my ears. On a side note I have started wearing ear pro when I know I'm gonna be on the highway for an extended period of time (again for the wind not the pipes...)

I have not considered baffles, though some here have and are quite happy.

I believe the HP and standard power pro are the same internally.

pics below cause I am a pic whore...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've heard lots of good reports of the Smart Partz, and am looking to get those for myself soon. I was going to get the 2-into-one when someone offered up a set of cobra dragsters for way cheap. Those being my immediate 2nds choice I went for it :)

I'd like to hear your feedback on that exhaust and any performance gains you get, or not.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truckie, thanks for the pics. I think that those are good looking pipes and they look good on your bike. Wish I had a Custom to go with my Classic. :D

Shaman, yeah, if I get the pipes and baffles, I'll post my thoughts on them. I haven't any way, other than seat of the pants, to judge performance gains. My research indicates about a 20 to 25% increase, so that should be easy to discern.

My concern is the noise levels being too high, to the point that I won't like riding with them. Given the expense involved, I'm rather hesitant to pull the trigger on something that I might not be able to use. :(

·
Registered
950 Posts
Kerry,

I have the PowerPro HP with a Hard Kore quiet baffle. The baffle takes the edge off of the loud pipe quite nicely. I can clearly hear wind, the motor hum, and any other bike noise over the exhaust. Whiting57 has ridden behind me and stated they were not too loud from his perspective either. It does bark a little when you get on it, but not obnoxiously so. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kerry,

I have the PowerPro HP with a Hard Kore quiet baffle. The baffle takes the edge off of the loud pipe quite nicely. I can clearly hear wind, the motor hum, and any other bike noise over the exhaust. Whiting57 has ridden behind me and stated they were not too loud from his perspective either. It does bark a little when you get on it, but not obnoxiously so. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the info, Ken. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get this exhaust. I've found a really good price on it from an ebay seller, so buying the aftermarket baffles doesn't make it too costly. :p

I'd like to ask you another question. Are you happy with the performance gains?

Thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Kerry,

Whiting57 has ridden behind me and stated they were not too loud from his perspective either. It does bark a little when you get on it, but not obnoxiously so. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I was very surprised that these pipes were so quiet, while riding behind Ken at varying speeds, at no time were they loud or obnoxious. I could hear my bike at all times.

They did have a nice tone to them and looked great. I think they are a good choice with what ever baffles Ken had.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was very surprised that these pipes were so quiet, while riding behind Ken at varying speeds, at no time were they loud or obnoxious. I could hear my bike at all times.

They did have a nice tone to them and looked great. I think they are a good choice with what ever baffles Ken had.
Thanks for the followup, Maurice. I like the looks of these pipes and would appreciate the power increase. So, all I need to do is get off my duff and order them and the baffles. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Love my pipes and I actually went to make them louder by removing the fiber glass on the baffles. At idle the bike is quiet so in neighborhoods I usually just give it a little blip and coast her through. For the last three years I haven't had a single complaint just a lot of compliments.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the info, Vic. I'm convinced, I'm going to order those pipes. :D
I'm really leaning toward these as well....however I am interested in the performance gains anyone has seen vs Stock, Debaffled Stock, or another Aftermarket set?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just put Road House Outlaw 2-1 on my custom and love them! They're only loud if you want them to be. Look nice too. PITA to put on though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm really leaning toward these as well....however I am interested in the performance gains anyone has seen vs Stock, Debaffled Stock, or another Aftermarket set?
I checked out the Cobra website because I'm also interested in the Power Pros. For the Vulcan 900 it seems like the only pipes Cobra DOESN'T claim performance gains for are the Dragsters. Obviously Cobra doesn't quote hp or torque figures but from their own descriptions it sounds like the Power Pros would give the biggest gain. And the blurb is the same for the standard Power Pros and HPs so I guess the only differences are cosmetic.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Stock hp at the rear wheel .... 43. With pipes. Big air kit. Power commannder, dyno tuned ....57.5 hp at the rear wheel ...... thats over a 25% gain. Don't know what pipes or what air kit.

Thats on a dyno sheet ... no guessing with a custom map. Any other fiigures with out a dyno run is just guessing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stock hp at the rear wheel .... 43. With pipes. Big air kit. Power commannder, dyno tuned ....57.5 hp at the rear wheel ...... thats over a 25% gain. Don't know what pipes or what air kit.

Thats on a dyno sheet ... no guessing with a custom map. Any other fiigures with out a dyno run is just guessing.
Whose results were these? If yours, don't know pipes???

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whose results were these? If yours, don't know pipes???
The results and dyno sheet were posted here on the forum ... I'm using my phone and am to lazy to get off my cyber butt and look for them.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cobra power pro hp's are very loud. I put the smart parts baffle and it made them very acceptable. added some back pressure and improved performance.

I chose this pipe system because of its Jug-Hugger profile and it hangs low so my bags hang low too. also it runs below the gear box cover giving better access.

If I had to do it again or could just buy their muffler section seperatley, I'd go with the RoadHouse 2in1 system. It has the best performance and the sound you are looking for w/o having to add more baffles and does not require a FI box. Those few who have gone the RoadHouse route will attest this. If you ever get a chance to hear one or ride one, you will too. ponchout

·
Registered
126 Posts
cobra power pro hp's are very loud. I put the smart parts baffle and it made them very acceptable. added some back pressure and improved performance.

I chose this pipe system because of its Jug-Hugger profile and it hangs low so my bags hang low too. also it runs below the gear box cover giving better access.

If I had to do it again or could just buy their muffler section seperatley, I'd go with the RoadHouse 2in1 system. It has the best performance and the sound you are looking for w/o having to add more baffles and does not require a FI box. Those few who have gone the RoadHouse route will attest this. If you ever get a chance to hear one or ride one, you will too. ponchout
Roadhouse is out of business now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts