Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some Cobra exhaust pipes on the bike I bought. From looking at the Cobra site, they look to be the Speedster Slashdown model of exhaust.

I have questions for anyone who bought them.

1. Did the angled billet tips originally come with them in the box?

2. Did any baffles come with them originally in the box? (They are really loud, and I might prefer to not enrage the neighbors.)

The pipes look to be about 2 1/8" diameter at the rear. Are these the correct baffles?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B2WPZE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AY6B10HJNSJYH

Can I attach these even if I do not have the billet tips?

Do any of you have some tips or baffles laying around that you would like to sell?

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Had those on my 900.

1) Yes.

2) Yes. But the stock baffles don't do much. Search for Cobra quiet core baffles, part number 9015Q. Somewhere I have a picture of stock vs quiet core baffles side by side so I'll look around and post it when I find it. What you linked to looks right, but I'm on my phone and the part number doesn't show up for me.

You may be able to buy the tips from Cobra or find some on eBay.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Graybush.

I actually like the look of the staggered ends on the pipes without the tips.

Are the tips REQUIRED in order to hold the baffles in position?
That would be the reason I would fit them at this point.

If you have a photo, that would help.
Amazon does say that these are the Quiet core pipes further down on the page, although I did not see the part number either. I also did not know there was more than one kind of baffle.

Thanks again.
Kevin

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got this from deputy loud on here a few years back. Take out the baffles if there some are in there and wrap them with some high temp fiberglass. then you can control the opening and noise level some. depending on how many holes you leave open. I also put some stainless tie wire around it to hold the fiberglass in place. You could also try some baffle wrap. I am pretty sure DL has a write up on here some where.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks for the reply Graybush.

I actually like the look of the staggered ends on the pipes without the tips.

Are the tips REQUIRED in order to hold the baffles in position?
That would be the reason I would fit them at this point.

If you have a photo, that would help.
Amazon does say that these are the Quiet core pipes further down on the page, although I did not see the part number either. I also did not know there was more than one kind of baffle.

Thanks again.
Kevin
Nope. Each baffle is held in place by one screw. Same with each tip.

I should mention there are several other baffle options like Smartpartz and some others. I mentioned the Cobra quiet core baffles earlier because that's what I used. I thought my side by side picture was gone, but apparently somebody else saved a copy and uploaded it somewhere else. Quiet core 9015Q on the left, standard on the right.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you just slap the quietcore baffles in, do they really quiet it down that much?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Kevin, I have the Cobra Dragsters, I am not sure if there are baffles in them or not I will have to check but the only time I feel they are loud is during warm-up. Once the idle drops to normal operation its not offensive. Mine came on the bike too, they have a small straight tip on them if you like the offset and don't want the slash down look you may be able to purchase the baffles and the dragster tips which are straight. just a thought to ask Cobra.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies.
I did phone Cobra on Friday. They confirmed the following.
1. Yes, the pipes on my bike are Speedster slashdown pipes.
2. The quiet core baffle part number is 9015Q and you can order these thru your local dealer or favorite mail order house.
3. The tips are part number is PT-1001P
4. The tips are not required to hold the baffles in place. There is a separate screw for the baffles.

I like the square end offset look of the pipes as they are. The tips are $45 EACH, which to me is a lot. I would rather spend that money on real parts or tools or something to keep me safer.
https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Billet-Exhaust-Tip-Slashdown/dp/B0068EU7SW/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493143957&sr=1-1&keywords=speedster+billet+tips

FordDiesel69, you asked the $64,000 question right now. (now that I have at least figured out what I have, and the part numbers, and prices.)

I wish I knew how much of a sound difference there is. Myself, I think I like the rumble of the pipes. My ride to work is all through residential streets except for the last mile. I do not want to be "that guy" early in the morning that wakes everybody up. I could always take them out for longer rides. It is only one screw.

As of now, I have them sitting in my amazon cart. I will get the back end of it back together and ride it a little to see.
Thanks everyone. It is nice that plenty of you have been there before and know more about these things.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is almost off topic.
I was traveling for work this week.
This van was outside my hotel. I did not meet them though.

Attachments

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
@westcoastkevin
I have the Slashdown pipes on my 900 Classic LT. I bought the bike a year ago. The pipes were already on the bike. Mine has the tips on them but they're different than the ones listed on Amazon. I don't know if or what kind of baffles are in the pipes. I'll take a pic and post it later today.

I think the tips were added later as they have some chips in them but the pipes don't. So I'm planning on replacing the tips with new ones.

The pipes give my bike a very deep throaty sound. A few Harley guys I ride with have said they think my bike sounds better than theirs! After riding my 900 for a year I gotta say I love the sound. It is really only loud if I rev it up. No one around me in my neighborhood has complained that my bike is loud. I use a Sena comm system. The pipe rumble doesn't interfere with comms, stereo, radio or phone calls while riding.

I think the Cobras are amazing. I'm anxious to read your test ride report. I'll try to get some pics up today. If it wasn't raining I would cut a video with some sound. But summer only lasted a week and now it seems to be winter again here. Had to fire up the wood stove for Christ sake!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts