Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I installed a Cobra Lightbar mid July and one of the bulbs have already burned out. I am thinking no big deal I'll just call around and pick up a replacement. Well, every local shop & auto parts supplier does not carry the H3 25w bulbs. Great not easy to find....

So, this is what I am thinking... upgrading to 35w H3 bulbs. I figure it's only 10w each additional load and a bit brighter. My question to the folks here, has anyone done this with their lightbar? Added information; I am running a 35w HID so I ahve gained back some wattage and will still be under the 70watts additional capacity for the 900. Any thing I am missing? Would the additional 10w (20w total) place any issues with the wiring? :confused: Thanks.... :D

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You should be fine n the total draw. Have you considered going LED? I did, 4 watts each, very bright and 100K hours life. Check out eBay and the like. Lot's of options there.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be fine n the total draw. Have you considered going LED? I did, 4 watts each, very bright and 100K hours life. Check out eBay and the like. Lot's of options there.
Will definitly look into LEDs. Are they direct replacements for the H3's in the lightbar housing? Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There is a large selection of lamps out on eBay. I particularly like mine , H3s, because they are a bright white and they get attention. I run them all the time and they can be seen even in bright daylight.

·
Banned
148 Posts
supplier does not carry the H3 25w bulbs. Great not easy to find....

Would the additional 10w (20w total) place any issues with the wiring?
That depends on exactly how you have them wired.
If it is with a relay, as recommended, than it should not be a problem.
If you just bridged them onto an existing wire......then you will potentially have a problem with connectors or switches long term anyway.

The extra HEAT might be a problem for the socket/fixture though.

Can none of the parts houses ORDER the right bulbs ??
Bike shops ??

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That depends on exactly how you have them wired.
If it is with a relay, as recommended, than it should not be a problem.
If you just bridged them onto an existing wire......then you will potentially have a problem with connectors or switches long term anyway.

The extra HEAT might be a problem for the socket/fixture though.

Can none of the parts houses ORDER the right bulbs ??
Bike shops ??
They will (if I pushed). Had two dealers recommend the 35w upgrade, as they are more accessible, and a bit brighter. Both didn't think the additional load would be an issue. I have reduced the overall load with the HID which draws it's power direct from the battery. I would think it should be okay, but will watch.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The one's I bought were a drop in- Pull the cover, uplug the old lamp, plug in the new, replace cover. Simple. No load equalizer need since there is no load to equalize. They are needed only for turn signals when you do not have a non-load-dependant flasher. The LEDs draw such a low current that load dependant flashers think you have a burned out lamp and flash fast as a drivers warning.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The two local Wal-Marts here only carry 55w H3s (too high). I received a response from Cobra this morning and they are okay with 35w bulbs installed on the housing and wiring, but stated no higher. So, now I am deciding on the 35w halogens, or LED replacments.

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, does anyone know of these LED bulbs are suitable for motorcycle use?
Hard to say. They are H3 and should fit & function just fine. The question will be how bright. I almost want to do a light comparison test just to see. We have done similar tests with Bicycle lights & Dive lights comparing (HID vs Halogen vs LED). Usually measured in Lumens for bicycles & dive lights. Best test is to just plug them in and take pics of the difference.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I can't say wether what you found will meet with your expectations. LEDs are whiter but maybe not brighter than the Halogens. I use mine like Daylight Running Lights and I don't use them for illumination. I run them 100% of the time and find that they illuminate the road immediately in front of the bike very well. Best I could advise is to do the trial and error method. Try them and as bosco says see what you get in a comparison.

·
Registered
358 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts