Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone purchased and installed the Cobra light bar? I was interested in the quality and ease of installation. It's about $100 less than the Kawasaki brand so thought I would get one if they are any good.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the Cobra, bought for the same reason you just mentioned. No problems with it, and I recommend it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The only thing i did not like was the crappy splice connector.I stripped the wires soldered the connection and put shrink tubing over it

·
Registered
441 Posts
The only thing i did not like was the crappy splice connector.I stripped the wires soldered the connection and put shrink tubing over it
I totally agree. I hate HATE HATE those T Taps (however I used mine because I was in a hurry) Also my instructions said to splice into the red with blue tracer wire. The set I bought was one of the originals for 2006. Maybe the wiring changed I am not sure but it was the red and orange I believe. Here are some pics of the completed project. Also it was about an hour install too. I saw one guy claim he did his in 20 minutes which seems really fast. Now I did not need to remove the windshield to do this install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm trying to wire mine right now, 07 1600 Classic. It says use the red/blue wire but I don't see one except for the turn signals. I checked for red/orange and don't see that either. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
657 Posts
It took me about 20 minutes to install. Goes on easily. One thing I did add. I put it on a relay switch which runs off my low beams so the bar doesn't come on until the headlamp does and when I hit my highbeam, it shuts off. In Calif, you can get ticketed if you run driving or fog lights with you high beams on. So it works great. The other advantage is I won't forget to turn it off and run down the battery. I use the acc.power from inside the headlamp for the bar itself.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have heard that cobra makes most of the Kawi parts for accesories.
Mine has a little rocker switch behind the light on the mounting bracket. I leave it on all the time. It would only be a problem if I left the key to on. Which I don't do anymore. I use the key to kill the engine. My old bike had a charging issue so I had to be really careful with that. So now I don't really touch the kill switch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm trying to wire mine right now, 07 1600 Classic. It says use the red/blue wire but I don't see one except for the turn signals. I checked for red/orange and don't see that either. Anyone have any ideas??
If you haven't figured it out yet the low beam should be the top wire on the top terminal. Or try a test light with the headlight disconnected and probe the wire on low beam until your test light lights. Have someone toggle it to high beam so you know for sure.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It took me about 20 minutes to install. Goes on easily. One thing I did add. I put it on a relay switch which runs off my low beams so the bar doesn't come on until the headlamp does and when I hit my highbeam, it shuts off. In Calif, you can get ticketed if you run driving or fog lights with you high beams on. So it works great. The other advantage is I won't forget to turn it off and run down the battery. I use the acc.power from inside the headlamp for the bar itself.

Doing all that in 20 minutes... you are the man LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have heard that cobra makes most of the Kawi parts for accesories.
Mine has a little rocker switch behind the light on the mounting bracket. I leave it on all the time. It would only be a problem if I left the key to on. Which I don't do anymore. I use the key to kill the engine. My old bike had a charging issue so I had to be really careful with that. So now I don't really touch the kill switch.
I always use the kill switch but I also habitually turn the key off afterwards. I do the same thing with the sleds. Makes me feel better that way.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Doing all that in 20 minutes... you are the man LOL
I added the relay switch about two weeks after the light bar, but that only took about 5 minutes. I use a 12 volt auto light testor to test the lines. You can get it at any auto shop for about three of four bucks. The ground and power pugs plugged directly on the the relay, plugged the light bar in the right spot and then the relay power into the back of the plug for the light. When I start Eljay, the head lamp doesn't come on until it starts, as does the light bar and as I said shuts off when I hit the high beam. My truck was wired that same way at the factory. I can also still turn off the lightbar from its switch on the right side of the bar.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I currently have the Mephis Shades windshield with the "switchblade" quick release mounts. Has anyone tried using the Cobra light bar with this type windshield set-up. I am concerned over clearance issues and whether the quick release feature will still work. I never take my windshield off when riding, but it is easier to clean the forks and triple trees when the windshield is off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts