Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the cobra light bar...pretty simple and straight forward. I have 2 questions for you folks:

1) Which way should i be pointing these auxillarly lights ? up ? down ? left ? right ?

2) I followed the instructions and used the auxillary power line but is there a way to get these to just power on/off with the headlight and eliminate the manual switch ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just point your lights on the same path as your headlight. You will know if they are pointed up too much because the on coming traffic will be flashiny you constantly.

By wiring to the auxilliary power you are stuck with the power constantly on. So you have to use the switch. If you tap into the power from one of your directionals you can simply leave the switch on. The lights will come on when you turn on the key. The headlight will come on when you start the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you tap into the power from one of your directionals you can simply leave the switch on. The lights will come on when you turn on the key. The headlight will come on when you start the bike.
Will that overload the circuit ?

·
Registered
492 Posts
No, That's how the instructions I got with mine said to do it. I have read that other people like to do it like you did yours. I guess they were afraid of overloading the circuit. But I have had mine wired to the turn signal hot wire for 9 months that way and haven't encuntered any problems at all. And I really like not having to turn that switch on and off all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
light bar alignment

Alignment: The lamps can swivel left-right and up-down because of the way they sit in their mounting flange and the way the bolt comes through the housing. So all that is necessary to do to adjust the lamps is to loosen the nut enough so that you can move the lamps. Then retighten. Park your bike in a garage or other situation where you can aim the front end towards a wall (a white wall preferably). The front of the bike should be 6 feet or so from the wall. Sit on the bike (or better yet, have some one sit on it while you adjust) and hold the bike straight. Turn on the ignition and check the lamp pattern on the wall. I adjusted my lamps so the center of the beams were slightly lower and to each side of the main headlamp beam. If you are by yourself, you'll have to tighten the lamps without trying to move the lamp and then check the alignment once the lamp is tight. If you have someone on the bike, you can keep a watch on the alignment as you tighten. A safety note: Resist the urge to reach forward and adjust the beams as you sit on the bike. It's a good way to slip and dump the bike.
Hope this works.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You can set the auto on/off option by using a relay switch. I wired one into my low-beams (used a flat elec. connector and pushed it into the back of the lamp plug) while using the acc. power plug in the lamp housing for the main power. Now I can have my lamps on or off or leave them on all the time if I choose. Most states make it illegal to run the driving lights with the high beam on so with this setup the lamps shut off automatically when the high beam is on. They also won't turn on unless the low beam is turned on as when starting the bike. It's been like this for 8 months now and I'm really happy with it. As for aiming, I have mine set just slightly down from straight out. Your state's DMV may have the guideline for aiming the lamps on line.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can set the auto on/off option by using a relay switch. I wired one into my low-beams (used a flat elec. connector and pushed it into the back of the lamp plug) while using the acc. power plug in the lamp housing for the main power. Now I can have my lamps on or off or leave them on all the time if I choose. Most states make it illegal to run the driving lights with the high beam on so with this setup the lamps shut off automatically when the high beam is on. They also won't turn on unless the low beam is turned on as when starting the bike. It's been like this for 8 months now and I'm really happy with it. As for aiming, I have mine set just slightly down from straight out. Your state's DMV may have the guideline for aiming the lamps on line.
Did it similar way with mine also. No problems. Easy solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts