Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Cobra Light Bar, in accordance with the installation instructions, on my 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic. I wired the black power wire from the lightbar switch into the red with blue tracer wire using the supplied blue quick splice connector. The headlight lights, but not the lightbar. I removed the quick splice connector and tapped directly into the red with blue tracer wire hoping that the splice connector failed me. Any assistance would be awesome.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a 2010 Classic LT, which IIRC, didn't have that color wire in the headlight bucket. So, I just hooked the black lead up to the aux power lead that is located in the headlight bucket. Works fine, although I'm always forgetting to turn off the lightbar. So, I'll probably rewire it to come on/off with the headlight.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Surprise! The diagram that comes with your Cobra lightbar is wrong! I had the same problem.

You need an electric test light. Pretty cheap at Walmart or auto parts store. You need to find the hot wire to one of your directionals. Turn on your key. Push the probe into the back end of the connector(you'll see metal, that's what you touch) and you have the other end grounded. The one that lights the test light is the hot one. That's the one you splice into.

Make sure you seal up the wire you spliced into already. Don't want a short while you're riding at night.

A final word of advise. Take off all the lens covers and make sure all the mounting screws for the bulb sockets are tight. I had one come loose and the vibration broke the plastic the base screws to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kerry and Ghost. Thanks for the assistance, I am heading to autozone this morning. I guess I should have gone with my instinct instead of following the directions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Surprise! The diagram that comes with your Cobra lightbar is wrong! I had the same problem.

You need an electric test light. Pretty cheap at Walmart or auto parts store. You need to find the hot wire to one of your directionals. Turn on your key. Push the probe into the back end of the connector(you'll see metal, that's what you touch) and you have the other end grounded. The one that lights the test light is the hot one. That's the one you splice into.

Make sure you seal up the wire you spliced into already. Don't want a short while you're riding at night.

A final word of advise. Take off all the lens covers and make sure all the mounting screws for the bulb sockets are tight. I had one come loose and the vibration broke the plastic the base screws to.
If you are talking about probing for power at the back of the headlight you want to take your power from the low beam and therefore you want to have the bike running. if I recall correctly it is the throttle side spade of the bulb.

Another important tip when using a 12 volt test light is to be sure it lights before you start probing. This makes sure you have a proper ground and that the light works otherwise you might get pretty frustrated. so find a easy spot to clip the ground clamp and since you have the headlight out probe the accessory wire. There are 2 wires in the headlight bucket one is 12V+ and the other is ground.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The directions from Cobra instuct you to tap into power from the directionals/running lights. Thats where he tapped into according to the directions. Unfortunately the wire he tapped into doesn't have power.

Cruiser331 thats a great idea to test the test light before using! I've run into a non working tester before! Pretty frustrating!

·
Registered
441 Posts
The directions from Cobra instruct you to tap into power from the directionals/running lights. Thats where he tapped into according to the directions. Unfortunately the wire he tapped into doesn't have power.

Cruiser331 thats a great idea to test the test light before using! I've run into a non working tester before! Pretty frustrating!
It does not tell you to connect the lights to the turn signals.

Read all instructions carefully before installing your new Cobra product!
1. Remove (2) Phillip head screws from headlight and set aside. Remove headlight from housing,
unplug and set aside.
2. Unplug turn signals inside headlight housing. Remove the (2) M8 and (2) M6 bolts from turn signal
bar and set bolts aside. Remove (2) M10 nuts from turn signals and remove from bar. Set M10 nuts
and turn signals aside.
3. Install your new Cobra lightbar by inserting the (2) M6 bolts removed from Step 2 into the stock
mounting location and snug. Insert the M8 bolts removed in Step 2 through outside mount, provided
aluminum spacers and into stock mounting location. Align Lightbar and tighten bolts to factory torque
specifications.
4. Install Left turn signal (Black disconnect) in the same manner in which it was removed with M10 nut
set aside from Step 2. Repeat with Right turn signal (Gray disconnect.) Route wires through back of
headlight and reconnect to proper colored connectors.
5. Route the left spotlight wire under the lightbar towards the lightbar switch, take the right spotlight wire
and twist together with the left one. Insert the two (twisted together) wires into the supplied push on
terminal and crimp with a crimping tool. Connect this to one of the poles on the lightbar switch, it does
not matter which one.
6. Connect the 20” power wire to the remaining pole on the lightbar switch. Route the power wire
through the back of the headlight housing. Loosely pull slack out of wire and using the 3 supplied zip
ties wrap spotlight, turn signals, and power wire to the lightbar.
7. Locate the 3 wire accessory lead with the flat 3 –wire connector inside the headlight housing.
Connect the Black power wire from the lightbar switch to the Red with Blue tracer wire using the
supplied blue quick splice connector.
8. Reinstall the headlight with (2) Phillips screws removed in Step 1.
9. Check to make sure your handlebars turn from lock to lock without any stretching or binding in any of
the wires. Check the alignment of all your lighting. Make sure everything is in proper working order
before riding the vehicle.

Download Cobra's Instructions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts