Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So, I just picked up my new Cobra Highway Bars for my 2009 900 Custom and reviewed the install directions. (No, I'm not your typical male - I read directions.) The counter guy was dead certain that Cobra's bars fit on both the Custom and Classic. That said, and maybe I'm overthinking it, the directions read to remove a bolt from the floorboards. Naturally, the Custom doesn't have floorboards and I'd love to save some choice profanities, as I plan to do the install tomorrow, just before Easter lunch. Anyone install Cobra bars on their Custom have any input? Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello all,

So, I just picked up my new Cobra Highway Bars for my 2009 900 Custom and reviewed the install directions. (No, I'm not your typical male - I read directions.) The counter guy was dead certain that Cobra's bars fit on both the Custom and Classic. That said, and maybe I'm overthinking it, the directions read to remove a bolt from the floorboards. Naturally, the Custom doesn't have floorboards and I'd love to save some choice profanities, as I plan to do the install tomorrow, just before Easter lunch. Anyone install Cobra bars on their Custom have any input? Thanks in advance for any input or advice.
The cobra bars fit the custom just fine. If you mock up the bars to your bike you'll see which bolt they mean. It's an easy install. Happy Easter.

Here is my 07 with cobra bars.

This shot may show the bolt better

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
fatvulcan900, a word of caution. I too have these bars on my '07 custom. It took me a while to get used to them though. When I hit the brake pedal my toe would hit the bar before I was actually applying the brakes. Its because of my foot position, so it may not affect you at all. I just want you to be aware so you can watch for it before it becomes an issue. It only took me a couple of rides to change my foot habits, but I nearly rear ended my buddie's bike the first day. Anyway, good luck and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
149 Posts
fatvulcan900, a word of caution. I too have these bars on my '07 custom. It took me a while to get used to them though. When I hit the brake pedal my toe would hit the bar before I was actually applying the brakes. Its because of my foot position, so it may not affect you at all. I just want you to be aware so you can watch for it before it becomes an issue. It only took me a couple of rides to change my foot habits, but I nearly rear ended my buddie's bike the first day. Anyway, good luck and enjoy the ride!

lol,i do the same thing with these bars a times.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
I bought the same bars for my 2010 900 Classic from another forum member. He took them off of his 900 Custom because he wanted to de-chrome his ride. The frame is the same on both bikes and so the bolt locations are the same as well. I had to move the horn, but it was a minor detail. There is a tab on the bars for it. My bike has floorboards and I haven't had the same experience with the brake pedal as SteveJB, most likely because of more room to move my feet around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, that's good advice and something I hadn't thought of.I haven't been ob the bike much since this has been one of the longest winters in Pa. But, I plan to take my time getting the rust off so hopefully the transition will be smooth. Safe riding everyone and Happy Easter.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
+1 on this being one of the longest winters ever. Words can't describe how much I'm ready to get back on my bike. Happy Easter!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Kawrider, Cobra must have changed the bars between yours and mine. There's no horn mount on my bars. I was instructed to move the horn to the ground screw on the right side of the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts