Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a ton of reviews and posts about these to and I STILL can't decide on which to get.

I have an 08 Vulcan 900 Custom. I recently installed V&H Slash Cut Staggereds and I do plan on changing the air intake after I add the processor. I am leaning towards the Cobra because it's cheaper, and looks easier to install.

I know the Cobra comes preset for my make and model. Would I have to adjust that because I have aftermarket exhaust? Or just see how it is after I install then adjust as needed.

Any type of feedback on the two processors is appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just installed my Fi2000r set the way it came in the box. It is easy to install, if you have little hands or very long fingers. The connectors are a little challenging but with patience you shouldn't have any trouble. Proping up the gas tank with a 2X4 makes it a lot easier but if you could get it up even higher that would be even better. About a 15 minute job. The hardest part is squeezing the connectors and trying to pull them off at the same time. Needle nose pliers work good, just take your time so you don't break anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have read a ton of reviews and posts about these to and I STILL can't decide on which to get.

I have an 08 Vulcan 900 Custom. I recently installed V&H Slash Cut Staggereds and I do plan on changing the air intake after I add the processor. I am leaning towards the Cobra because it's cheaper, and looks easier to install.

I know the Cobra comes preset for my make and model. Would I have to adjust that because I have aftermarket exhaust? Or just see how it is after I install then adjust as needed.

Any type of feedback on the two processors is appreciated.
You shouldn't need a processor until after you do the intake. FWIW, I have a PCIII and as set from DynoJet for my combination was very rich.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You really don't need the processor till you upgrade the intake. The difference is the PCIII is infinately more tunable as you do it on your pc, but, are you going to continue to do MAJOR motor upgrades? If not, the Cobra will do anything you need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recommend getting the power commander. Because after each or all of your mods you do to your bike you can put the bike on a dyno and get a CUSTOM made tune for your bike and mods. We all know you can get two identical cars from the car lot and one will out perform the other. These bikes are the same way. Maybe your bike might hold two more degreese of timing without detonation then john doe's bike. Also your air fuel ratio will vary from bike to bike. I know these are not race bikes but I sure do like to squeeze every ounce of horsepower out.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you get the FI2000r you will definitely need to adjust. However, you will NOT need it with pipes only. As others here have posted, add the intake to the pipes and thats the time to add the fuelpak. I run a Cobra unit and have no trouble with it, but another suggestion is to go with the GMan "Bully" unit. www.gmanindustries.com You can attach this one to your handlebars and "tune on the fly". Haven't seen a single nasty word about this unit anywhere and the owner of the company is very helpful either by email or phone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I went with the Fi2000r. Since there's really no performance mods available for the 900 other than changing intake & exhaust flow the PCIII is overpriced for an open loop fuel injection system. Adjustments made with the PCIII are only "perfect" for the conditions under which it was tuned. Altitude, temp, barometric pressure, humidity are constantly changing and the 900/PCIII can't perfectly adjust to the variables. If there were new cam and head options for the 900 I would gone for the adjustability of the PCIII. Without a good weather computer like a TAG and exhaust gas temp sensors you can't use the infinite adjustability of the PCIII...and it would be a pain to keep changing settings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got the Power Commander. Its a simple hook up with a USB to load the maps or adjust as necessary. You can also adjust the map on the fly with buttons on the unit. I do not have a new intake yet and have the HK Sideburner pipe and oddly enough, the map for it is listed for that pipe specifically with or without aftermarket exhaust. However, when I do get a new intake, I will probably take it to my dealer to get a little more fine tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts