Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since there is only 6 weeks of winter left, I've come out of hibernation! How are you guys?

I am looking at the CobraFI2000R Powerpro Tuner as an option. I like the fact that it advertises that it adapts, I'd like to do my pipes and processor first, ride it a bit and then do my intakes on a separate project. I won't do pipes without processor as some will respectfully chime. I am thinking about Hard Chrome as I had on the M109, but I'm not sure.

Back to the fuel processor. What are the reviews on this on a Classic? Any real world, high low altitude, weather bending advice?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Hey BTW . . Celebrating today that Canada is leading the Olympics in Medal Count! (What?!) Even if for just one day, it is awesome to see.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I have one on mine and have been very happy. It will be needed if your going to put an air scoop and open the pipes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
What are the reviews on this on a Classic?
I seem to recall that perhaps the only forum member with the PowerPro on an actual 1700 Classic to post results was not very happy. That would have been the member with the name 1700Classic. He still had popping, dead spots and surging. That is probably due to the fact that the Classic has a different ECU than the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero and Cobra likely did not test the PowerPro with a Classic.

The same thing initially happened with the EJK/Bully, but they now have a version specifically for the 1700 Classic and another for the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero. I now have the EJK/Bully working quite well on my 1700 Classic and it is hard to beat for the money.

Think long and hard about spending the money on the PowerPro without much in the way of evidence that it will work 100% on the 1700 Classic. For that matter, there is not conclusive evidence that it works for ALL Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero owners. There are many who are "happy" with it (some of whom still have stock exhaust), however, there are some who still have decel popping and inconsistent results with the PowerPro.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have it on the 900 custom and it works very well. only issue is the time spent dialing in the right combination

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammer Time! EJK

Hey Hammer! I like the idea of the EJK/Bully . . great price as well. I did speak to them at EJK when they released this version last spring/summer and was considering it.
1) What are you running for pipes and Intake on your steed?
2) Are you confident that this processor would be adequate (reasonably glitch-free and gainful) when used with the big 3 (an aftermarket air intake set up and a complete set of pipes . . . not just slip ons?)?

I have to make a decision in the next 30 days as to what I am going to do with this bike... I like the way it looks and it's scaled very well for me . . it just sounds a little bland.

as always, I appreciate the opinions and the experience of the forum Weigh in please!

Thanks forum . . . Let the Good Time Roll!

I seem to recall that perhaps the only forum member with the PowerPro on an actual 1700 Classic to post results was not very happy. That would have been the member with the name 1700Classic. He still had popping, dead spots and surging. That is probably due to the fact that the Classic has a different ECU than the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero and Cobra likely did not test the PowerPro with a Classic.

The same thing initially happened with the EJK/Bully, but they now have a version specifically for the 1700 Classic and another for the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero. I now have the EJK/Bully working quite well on my 1700 Classic and it is hard to beat for the money.

Think long and hard about spending the money on the PowerPro without much in the way of evidence that it will work 100% on the 1700 Classic. For that matter, there is not conclusive evidence that it works for ALL Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero owners. There are many who are "happy" with it (some of whom still have stock exhaust), however, there are some who still have decel popping and inconsistent results with the PowerPro.

·
Registered
364 Posts
KarateMoto,

Unfortunately, I have never had any extreme exhaust or intake on my 1700 Classic. The most I had was a Chuckster BAK and debaffled mufflers which the EJK/Bully will have no problem compensating for. However, I went back to "near" stock on the intake due to the obnoxious noise that a BAK creates on the 1700. In my case, the "near" stock intake (with OEM K&N Element) has better low end torque and quicker/more precise low end throttle response than the BAK.

What you should know, though, is that the suggested starting point that EJK recommends for a 1700 with BAK & Exhaust is good with ONE MAJOR EXCEPTION.

EJK SUGGESTED SETTINGS:
1) Green: 2.5
2) Yellow: 3.5
3) Red: 1.5
4) Green/Blue: 6 (This should be .5 or 1 !!!)
5) Yellow/Blue: 2.5
6) Red/Blue: 3.5

Since the fourth setting is RPM based for when the fuel is added just off idle, you want the lowest setting possible for adding fuel. This is the only way that I and many others have found to eliminate decel popping and improve performance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
EJK Settings

Great info Hammer, thank you!
When you mention popping on decel . . I feel there are 2 kinds, the kind that pop almost violently (heading towards a backfire) and the kind that sort of scuffle and snarl as you decel. Which are the the ones most get? Does the thunder air kit gasket help in these circumstances?

The EJK is quite inexpensive so maybe that is the way I'll jump. If I do EJK, pipes, as well as K and N it should change the nature of the beast a bit . . it just sounds so Briggs and Stratton at idle, even with a stage 1 debaffle. These changes should it sounds better once the coals are laid to it. I just want it to sound like a 1700 should!

I'll keep you all posted! I think that will be my summer for projects, as well as a few other things, like I'm having my Mustang seat cut down a couple inches in profile. Either that or it turns into Vaquero

KarateMoto,

Unfortunately, I have never had any extreme exhaust or intake on my 1700 Classic. The most I had was a Chuckster BAK and debaffled mufflers which the EJK/Bully have no problem compensating for. However, I went back to "near" stock on the intake due to the obnoxious noise that a BAK creates on the 1700. In my case, the "near" stock intake (with OEM K&N Element) has better low end torque and quicker/more precise low end throttle response than the BAK.

What you should know, though, is that the suggested starting point that EJK recommends for a 1700 with BAK & Exhaust is good with ONE MAJOR EXCEPTION.

EJK SUGGESTED SETTINGS:
1) Green: 2.5
2) Yellow: 3.5
3) Red: 1.5
4) Green/Blue: 6 (This should be .5 or 1 !!!)
5) Yellow/Blue: 2.5
6) Red/Blue: 3.5

Since the fourth setting is RPM based for when the fuel is added just off idle, you want the lowest setting possible for adding fuel. This is the only way that I and many other have found to eliminate decel popping and improve performance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well, since there is only 6 weeks of winter left, I've come out of hibernation! How are you guys?

I am looking at the CobraFI2000r Powerpro Tuner as an option. I like the fact that it advertises that it adapts, I'd like to do my pipes and processor first, ride it a bit and then do my intakes on a separate project. I won't do pipes without processor as some will respectfully chime. I am thinking about Hard Chrome as I had on the M109, but I'm not sure.

Back to the fuel processor. What are the reviews on this on a Classic? Any real world, high low altitude, weather bending advice?

Hey BTW . . Celebrating today that Canada is leading the Olympics in Medal Count! (What?!) Even if for just one day, it is awesome to see.

Just installed the Fi2000 and Cobra Speedster exhaust last week. Upon first start up (minus the louder, deeper tone of the cobra speedster) I now hear a perfect running engine. Before I would hear some little bit of lag when idling and giving it throttle, with some popping from time to time. Before the power tuner and speedsters I had recently added the K&N filter in mid Nov. Was planning on doing a tuner and full exhaust over the this winter. I also had modded stock pipe. Drilled out baffles (4 of them) and removed cats. Always had some popping on decel cause or either too rich or lean conditions.

The steep price tag of the cobra Fi2000 is worth it imo. Along with the cobra speedster slashdowns. I was watching a video of my 11 VN1700 Classic running at idle which I took last summer and could not the lag in the exhaust when I didn't have the Fi2000. That is now a thing of the past. Engine runs perfect at idle and feels like there is more power to it vs not having the tuner in.

The stock pipes are 1 3/4" vs the cobra speedster slashdowns which are 2 1/2". Paired with the K&N I am getting better flow. and the great thing about the Fi2000 is you can do future mods of exhaust and intake and never have to worry about getting an expensive tune again because of the changes. I think you will be very pleased on how well the engine will be after the easy plug and play install.

Hard krome pipes are nice. I was looking at them for awhile, but decided to go with the cobra speedster slash downs from Dennis Kirk as well with the Fi2000 power tuner. The plunge will not disappoint.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am installing the Freedom Performance blacked out true duals, the Power Pro, and Racnray's throttle mod all before the riding season commences this year. Very much looking forward to the new mods!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just installed the power pro. I had the fi2000r tri pod but it was a pain. I could never get it right. So i went for it and im glad i did , I took it for a spin yesterday and i couldnt believe the diffrence. My bike ran like a champ and smooth as silk. Just seems like im running it in lower gears with less rmp...on the highway it seemed to reach the speed alot faster. didnt even need 6th gear.. It started pouring so i headed home... The only thing that bothered me is while raining i could smell something burning.. once i shut her off the smell went away... im thinking its the pipe wraps getting wet.. i hope

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just installed the power pro. I had the fi2000r tri pod but it was a pain. I could never get it right. So i went for it and im glad i did , I took it for a spin yesterday and i couldnt believe the diffrence. My bike ran like a champ and smooth as silk. Just seems like im running it in lower gears with less rmp...on the highway it seemed to reach the speed alot faster. didnt even need 6th gear.. It started pouring so i headed home... The only thing that bothered me is while raining i could smell something burning.. once i shut her off the smell went away... im thinking its the pipe wraps getting wet.. i hope
Glad to hear about the performance of the Power Pro. Hope you are right about the burning and it isn't anything else.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Finally was able to put in over 190 miles since the install of the Cobra speedster slash downs and the Cobra Fi2000 Powrtune.
At first I was seeing 36.2 (lowest) then after 60 miles I was getting 37.2 then finally 37.8. This tuner is well worth the money! My engine runs like perfection now. Pulls harder (can feel the TQ more) especially in 2nd gear as I can feel the thrust on seat of the pants. I have no baffles, took them out and the engine sounds down right badass. I noticed getting more notice when riding as people hear then engine and want to turn around and look over. Even got some thumbs up (not hitch hikers).
Out on the highways I can feel the 70-90 mph pull harder with better throttle response. Then giving it some more throttle from 90 - triple digits was more noticeable then before the Cobra speedster and Cobra Fi2000. I would recommend spending the extra cost for the Fi2000. You don't need any dyno tune, you are all set. Never have to worry about re mapping with future mods either.

I was skeptical at first because audio in youtube videos just don't give it enough justice. You have to hear it for yourself. The VN1700 classic engine sounds better then my expectations with the Cobra speedster exhaust, and you are gaining much better flow as opposed to the smaller diameter stock pipes with their strange design. The stock pipes are like 1 3/4". the Cobra speedster is 2 1/2" diameter. Along with the K&N filter, the Cobra Fi2000 Powrtune the $1075 investment for me did not disappoint. Decel popping was virtually gone upon my first ride after install and once the ice melted on my driveway and road so I can safely get out to main road. Felt a slight improvement that very first ride and as I logged around 60 miles after it was installed, it was even more noticeable. No decel popping, no lag in throttle, every gear is tuned to perfection.
Will be getting it on the dyno for free at local dealer as they offer free dyno every Friday nights from 5-8pm until Oct 1. Though they don't give you a print out of the TQ numbers, they do the HP. I have a print out from 2012 when I got a free dyno and it was a humid Aug evening and was 67.8 HP with modded stock pipes then. Most reviews I read have stated 15 HP gains not just limited to Kawasaki only. I can feel the power difference and know with the addition of the K&N, full exhaust, and the Fi2000 Powrtune, so thinking maybe seeing that increase to 80-82 HP or maybe little higher. Won't know until I get over to the dealer after the free dyno test every Friday nights starts which will be real soon.

So if you are thinking about doing the upgrade but have doubts, you can rest assure after 60 miles logged after install you will feel like you have a better running Vulcan. And with the Cobra headers (full exhaust upgrade) the VN1700 engine will sound louder, better, and have that deep rumble that a V-twin should sound like. Ride through a tunnel, you can feel the percussion surrounding your body, not as much under a highway bridge due to larger size, but sounds wicked under all bridges.

Also wasn't expecting as good mileage when getting on the throttle. After logging that 60 miles the lowest mpg's I saw was 37.1 and that was doing speeds well over 90 with moderate - powerful acceleration. I was expecting a drop in mpg's to the 34 range, but never seen it. I read reviews with traditional tuners and people stating disappoints in mpg drops but the Fi2000 provides mpg's upon the way you ride it. It's not limited to some predetermined map where it was programmed by a dyno.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i didnt see much diffrence in mpg but really wont know till fillup time. but the display says 40 mpg . i average before the power pro 38 mpg between fill ups and that mostly city and back roads.. but i am happy with the power pro and tri ovals plus the k&n filter.. im done with mods and hope to get out and have a full day of testing. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts

I am looking at the CobraFI2000R Powerpro Tuner as an option. I like the fact that it advertises that it adapts, I'd like to do my pipes and processor first, ride it a bit and then do my intakes on a separate project. I won't do pipes without processor as some will respectfully chime. I am thinking about Hard Chrome as I had on the M109, but I'm not sure.

Hey Karate, I remember you from the 109 site,,, anyways, I have a Vaquero, I run the Power Pro, Freedom Pipes, Performance Machine open air intake, Rays throttle modification, the bike runs so strong, guys are amazed by it, averaging 45-46 mpg, there is decel popping on deceleration even with Rays mod to the back side of the throttle body, I believe it's the nature of the beast, I see you already purchased another processor but thought I would just say what I have and how it performs, it does work so so good.

Rick

·
Registered
148 Posts
After taking off the head pipes on the Classic, I really did not like the design of the head pipes at all. Too many questionable bends, looks like it restricts plenty of flow as compared to Cobra headers. Also the weight of it, including stock mufflers was a difference I noticed right away.

I know Cobra makes aftermarket mufflers, but after seeing the design of the OEM head pipes, I question how much, if any, do the aftermarket mufflers would really help as far as allowing flow improvement for the Classic.

I opened up my stock pipes, went through baffle walls. My friend has tri ovals on his Voyager and comparison to note gains, I thought my mod had more of a deeper sound when out on the road. I'm not calling it a waste of money, if anything I point the finger at Kawasaki head pipes on the Vulcan. Really disliked the restrictive design of the OE head pipes.

Head pipes resemble that of something you would see on a boiler at first site. Take off the heat shields and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Finally was able to put in over 190 miles since the install of the Cobra speedster slash downs and the Cobra Fi2000 Powrtune.
At first I was seeing 36.2 (lowest) then after 60 miles I was getting 37.2 then finally 37.8. This tuner is well worth the money! My engine runs like perfection now. Pulls harder (can feel the TQ more) especially in 2nd gear as I can feel the thrust on seat of the pants. I have no baffles, took them out and the engine sounds down right badass. I noticed getting more notice when riding as people hear then engine and want to turn around and look over. Even got some thumbs up (not hitch hikers).
Out on the highways I can feel the 70-90 mph pull harder with better throttle response. Then giving it some more throttle from 90 - triple digits was more noticeable then before the Cobra speedster and Cobra Fi2000. I would recommend spending the extra cost for the Fi2000. You don't need any dyno tune, you are all set. Never have to worry about re mapping with future mods either.

I was skeptical at first because audio in youtube videos just don't give it enough justice. You have to hear it for yourself. The VN1700 classic engine sounds better then my expectations with the Cobra speedster exhaust, and you are gaining much better flow as opposed to the smaller diameter stock pipes with their strange design. The stock pipes are like 1 3/4". the Cobra speedster is 2 1/2" diameter. Along with the K&N filter, the Cobra Fi2000 Powrtune the $1075 investment for me did not disappoint. Decel popping was virtually gone upon my first ride after install and once the ice melted on my driveway and road so I can safely get out to main road. Felt a slight improvement that very first ride and as I logged around 60 miles after it was installed, it was even more noticeable. No decel popping, no lag in throttle, every gear is tuned to perfection.
Will be getting it on the dyno for free at local dealer as they offer free dyno every Friday nights from 5-8pm until Oct 1. Though they don't give you a print out of the TQ numbers, they do the HP. I have a print out from 2012 when I got a free dyno and it was a humid Aug evening and was 67.8 HP with modded stock pipes then. Most reviews I read have stated 15 HP gains not just limited to Kawasaki only. I can feel the power difference and know with the addition of the K&N, full exhaust, and the Fi2000 Powrtune, so thinking maybe seeing that increase to 80-82 HP or maybe little higher. Won't know until I get over to the dealer after the free dyno test every Friday nights starts which will be real soon.

So if you are thinking about doing the upgrade but have doubts, you can rest assure after 60 miles logged after install you will feel like you have a better running Vulcan. And with the Cobra headers (full exhaust upgrade) the VN1700 engine will sound louder, better, and have that deep rumble that a V-twin should sound like. Ride through a tunnel, you can feel the percussion surrounding your body, not as much under a highway bridge due to larger size, but sounds wicked under all bridges.

Also wasn't expecting as good mileage when getting on the throttle. After logging that 60 miles the lowest mpg's I saw was 37.1 and that was doing speeds well over 90 with moderate - powerful acceleration. I was expecting a drop in mpg's to the 34 range, but never seen it. I read reviews with traditional tuners and people stating disappoints in mpg drops but the Fi2000 provides mpg's upon the way you ride it. It's not limited to some predetermined map where it was programmed by a dyno.
I have said this many many times before...

The powerpro does not alter the fuel injector signal at cruise/steady state throttle operation, it reverts back to the original mapping of the stock ECU. It only alters injector signal when there is a "rate of change" detected in the injector signal, i.e during acceleration. It IS limited by the stock ECU mapping during cruise/steady state modes and cannot compensate for any intake/exhaust/engine changes.

The power pro acts as an electronic accelerator pump. Here is right off their website, I have highlighted the points they make which back-up my assessment of their product.

CVT - Continuously Variable Tuning. That's the key to the remarkable performance the Fi2000 PowrPro delivers. PowrPro uses electronic control technology that calculates the bike's rate of acceleration by reading crankshaft rotation at the flywheel and changes in load just as a dynamometer measures acceleration at the rear wheel. That allows PowrPro to measure and adjust fuel flow during acceleration to the injectors in microseconds for super-fast fuel tuning: continuously and automatically! Net result: precise EFI tuning now happens in the real world in real time, nonstop: at up to 80 times per second. And that's not just at peak power settings; whenever you open the throttle for acceleration, PowrPro delivers ideal fuel metering continuously, all through the power band, and under all loads for full power and the ultimate in smooth and crisp throttle response. Patent pending.

Another quote...

It's like having the best custom map-writing software and a dyno operator tuning your fuel delivery 80 times a second, every time you crank open the throttle.

It is incorrect to assume, as Cobra still claims, that the powerpro can self adjust for any future mods. That is entirely impossible unless it has the capability to analyze the air/fuel mixture, which of course it does not. The fuel requirements of a stock engine vs and engine with the big three and then another engine with headwork, cams, big bore stuff can be very very different and really THE ONLY CORRECT METHOD OF ACCURATE TUNING is to analyze the air/fuel ratio. PERIOD!!!!

One other aspect of the powerpro is the ultimate inclusion of an "user adjustable pot". This was done in response to complaints of popping on decel that the powerpro CANNOT have an affect on, as decel is the opposite of acceleration.

The only problem I have is with the untrue claims that Cobra makes. To say their unit can compensate for many types of mods just ain't true, tho so far it works well as many peeps can feel the benefits in acceleration, which is want we all want.

Hey Karate, I remember you from the 109 site,,, anyways, I have a Vaquero, I run the Power Pro, Freedom Pipes, Performance Machine open air intake, Rays throttle modification, the bike runs so strong, guys are amazed by it, averaging 45-46 mpg, there is decel popping on deceleration even with Rays mod to the back side of the throttle body, I believe it's the nature of the beast, I see you already purchased another processor but thought I would just say what I have and how it performs, it does work so so good.

Rick
I did a custom map on a Vaq with the FP system and was able to eliminate prolly about 99% of the decel popping. The design of the FP system makes it hard to eliminate all popping but for sure it is the sweetest sounding system.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
148 Posts
What I meant by self adjusts, it self adjusts to future mods of swapping exhausts and changing air intake only. Sorry for the confusion.

I read all about the other stuff, like changing cams, engine work ect. The Fi2000 is just monitoring the air/fuel ratio and adjusts to the changes you make to filter and exhaust only.

It also corrected the lag I had. when engine was in idle and I gave it throttle, I used to hear a small lag (the fix you found). That's no longer there now. I posted some videos about a month ago in your thread Ray. Shows a video I took back last Summer, and a video I took after I installed new exhaust and Fi2000. You can hear the lag is no longer apparent in new video. Check out your thread under vender section. I believe that is where I posted the link to the videos.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Fi2000 is just monitoring the air/fuel ratio and adjusts to the changes you make to filter and exhaust only.
Actually it does not.

As Racnray stated: It does not have an O2 sensor to be able to read the air/fuel ratio at all, so it could not possibly know the air/fuel ratio and be able to make the necessary adjustments accordingly.

I believe that it simply extrapolates based on data received from such things as the throttle position sensor. Therefore it would only be able to add fuel during acceleration. And again, as Ray stated, this would mean that it may not help to eliminate decel popping on all 1700's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.