Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is a question ..it may be a dumb one but one never knows till he asks...
Is a fi2000 (the one you have to splice in not the one with the connectors) a semi universal thing?.......seems to me they are the same unit (for most metric v-twins) just with different pre-set settings and instructions for each bike....I know that the dobeck tfi, kury wild thing,and arlen ness cheep shot list the same part # for pretty much every vulcan and metric twin.
the reason i ask is that i can get a fi2000 for a vn2000 for real cheep ...yes i know a power commander is a better way to go but i have ZERO access to a dyno and doubt if i will be able to find a map for my combo (cobra power pro hp 2into1 and an intake i will be making myself).....and i cant afford a PC III at the moment anyways..

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think they are diff, check out cobrausa.com and you will see the part number are not the same.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the part # is different.......but the question is are the units themselfs the same but just different part # because of the different pre-sets and model specific instructions

·
Registered
224 Posts
the fi2000 is the splice in,the fi2000r has the snap in connectors. They do come preset for bike,but normally need some adjustment for your specific set up and can be a pain to do so.( I messed with mine on and off for over a year before settling with my current settings) I think cobra's fi2000r vs others (doebeck,wild thing,etc)are the same in use and only vary in looks due to manufacturer. The PC goes a little beyond those and uses map downloads. It may be better,but am happy with my cobra fi2000r (now that I have my settings where they are at)now that I have my settings correct for my setup,the bike runs great)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Worm, my understanding is that you ae correct. The unit is the same, just the presets are different. And like you said, the fi 2000r is a different story.

Just in case you already pulled the trigger, I believe the presets for the 900 are 4-2-0. Maybe 4-2-2. But I found that the #3 pot didn't really do anything. Then again, I'm not a WOT ATT kinda guy.

Here's instructions to fine tune it:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/81644-dial-your-cobra-fi-2000-a.html

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
unless you have already pulled the trigger and bought one, may i suggest the FI2000 Power Pro, it has an auto tune feature and takes the guess work and screwing around out of the equation.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the power pro is wayyyyy out of my price range heck if i could afford even a new fi2000 or fi2000r i wouldnt be askin if the cheep used one would work ...lol
I do agree the power pro would be the simplest way to go. Just install it and forget it......cant go wrong with that !!!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
think a call to cobra support would get me an honest answer ?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
think a call to cobra support would get me an honest answer ?
I have called there tech line before, they were nothing but helpfull and returned my call asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts