Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a “Cobra Fi2000 Tri Pot EFI Controller“ on my 2019 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. The instructions stated it was already set for my bike so I did not change any of the settings. After a 40 mile ride I noticed it was backfiring when I changed gears from 2nd to 3rd. It also smells like it’s running a little rich. Can anyone advise what adjustments I need to make. Thank You in Advance.

·
Registered
314 Posts
IIRC, they come set at 4,2,0. The backfiring is more related to the Kawasaki air injection system. When I disabled that, the backfiring was noticeably less. What exhaust / intake or other mods have you done?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed a “Cobra Fi2000 Tri Pot EFI Controller“ on my 2019 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. The instructions stated it was already set for my bike so I did not change any of the settings. After a 40 mile ride I noticed it was backfiring when I changed gears from 2nd to 3rd. It also smells like it’s running a little rich. Can anyone advise what adjustments I need to make. Thank You in Advance.
I just installed the Fi2000r on my 2007 custom along with the Powrflo Air intake because I wanted to get rid of the backfiring during deacceleration (previous owner had de-baffled the stock exhaust). From my reading of those stock settings of 4,2,0 Cobra might assume you changed your air intake and/or exhaust for those settings to work. In my case, in the limited riding since installing those items, my backfiring has been reduced and the throttle feels a bit crisper but nothing major so far as far as a performance upgrade. Next up on my upgrade will be the Baron 34 tooth front pulley. This bike really feels like it needed a 6th gear.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just installed the Fi2000r on my 2007 custom along with the Powrflo Air intake because I wanted to get rid of the backfiring during deacceleration (previous owner had de-baffled the stock exhaust). From my reading of those stock settings of 4,2,0 Cobra might assume you changed your air intake and/or exhaust for those settings to work. In my case, in the limited riding since installing those items, my backfiring has been reduced and the throttle feels a bit crisper but nothing major so far as far as a performance upgrade. Next up on my upgrade will be the Baron 34 tooth front pulley. This bike really feels like it needed a 6th gear.
It definitely needs another gear, it has enough torque for it but not sure why they never made it a 6 speed.
I played around with the Cobra tuner quite a bit. I had this 3 mile straight stretch of road that was mostly farms. I would make an adjustment, run through the gears, and repeat. My settings ended up at 5,3,2. Cobra power flow intake, Baron slip on exhaust, and both pulleys swapped. I also plugged the air injection tube. There wasn't a lot of popping, but I could never get rid of it all and still maintain good engine performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts