Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cobra swept exhaust comes in a few days and now I'm hearing I NEED this fuel management system to accompany my pipes. So pardon my ignorance on the subject and help me out... Whats it do? Is it necessary? What are the advantages/disadvantages to having it? Etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's what I've heard :
- if you swap pipes - NO
- if you change the air intake - MAYBE
- if you change both - It's a MUST

just check and 'read' your spark plugs after a decent ride and they will 'tell' you if the bike runs lean or not.... that's what I did and added a fuel processor to my ride (just in case -'cause the spark plugs read lean or just right (?))

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My Cobra swept exhaust comes in a few days and now I'm hearing I NEED this fuel management system to accompany my pipes. So pardon my ignorance on the subject and help me out... Whats it do? Is it necessary? What are the advantages/disadvantages to having it? Etc...

Thanks!
AZ, there ARE a couple of things you need to do before and during install of your new LOUD pipes. First, get a marble or a wire nut (used in electrical construction) and plug the hose that goes from the back of the air cleaner up to the secondary air solenoid valve located right under the tank. Next, buy two new O ring crush gaskets and make that part of your install. These two tasks will eliminate most of the decel popping that comes free of charge with your new Cobra's.
Fuel processors typically add fuel which is good if you have made the changes mentioned by previous posters. The ECM that comes with the bike has no idea you've just increased the flow of air, both in and out, and is still sending the same signals to the injectors. This can present a lean condition which robs power and may even damage the engine. The Cobra Fi2000 and the Power Commander are both top of the line fuel managers. If all you want is good performance with a good air/fuel ratio you can save a lot of money and go with a V&H or a Dobeck Performance processor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man did I get in over my head... And all I wanted was for my bike to stop sounding like grandmas scooter!
So where do I get a marble/wire nut and o-ring crush gaskets from? A motorcycle store or something like ACE, Lowes or Home Depot?
I'm not going for a performance mod, this bikes my daily driver so after the previously mentioned parts are installed is the fuel management system still necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Oh man did I get in over my head... And all I wanted was for my bike to stop sounding like grandmas scooter!
So where do I get a marble/wire nut and o-ring crush gaskets from? A motorcycle store or something like ACE, Lowes or Home Depot?
I'm not going for a performance mod, this bikes my daily driver so after the previously mentioned parts are installed is the fuel management system still necessary?
Ha ha I guess you don't have any kids nor own a home. Marbles from Toys R Us, wire nut from Ace Hardware and O ring crush gaskets from AutoZone or any other parts store, or at last resort Kawasaki. The Cobra's are a performance mod. Personally, if you do your own mechanical work, I would ride it with the Cobra's for a good, hard, ride then pull the plugs. If the porcelains are stone white then I would buy the fuel manager.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Single, no mortgage, no kids... Just me and my bike! This is my first bike, when I installed the Flowmasters on my car the CPU 'learned' and self adjusted so this is new to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I've been trying to figure out the difference between the cobra fi2000 and the cobra fi2000r, it appears that the 'r' model is plug and play while the other requires splicing. Are there any other differences between the two models?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The only difference is what you mentioned but other than that they're exactly the same. I would recommend the PCIII, newer PCV, Cobra Pro over the Cobra FI2000r though. I started with the Cobra fi2000r and then upgraded to the PCIII with noticeable results in performance. What ever you choose the bike will run better with it than without it even if you're only running a exhaust system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it looks like I'll be getting one in that case.
In regard to Sojourner's response once I install the fuel manager are the wire nut and crush gaskets still necessary? And what do the crush gaskets offer that the factory replacement gaskets don't?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well it looks like I'll be getting one in that case.
In regard to Sojourner's response once I install the fuel manager are the wire nut and crush gaskets still necessary? And what do the crush gaskets offer that the factory replacement gaskets don't?
The marble or the wire nut is necessary to minimize decel popping, as it prevents fresh air from entering the exhaust headers and mixing with the super heated exhaust gases. The factory replacement gaskets are, in fact, O ring crush gaskets. Most folks that change out their pipes don't even know they are there and bolt up the new pipes to old gaskets only to have leaks that, again, allow fresh air to mix with the exhaust gases. Your new Cobra's will, by their design, draw fresh air up the pipes and this will promote some decel popping also. One of the features of a fuel manager is that you can richen the mixture to prevent the popping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I already had the gaskets on order so I'm set there, do you have pictures of where I need to install the wire nut? I'm a little confused on that one

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great thank you so much for all the help and input, Im gonna try to find some time later this week to install everything

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Great thank you so much for all the help and input, Im gonna try to find some time later this week to install everything
After your first ride with the new pipes, with the engine cool, re-torque the pipe to cylinder head flange nuts again. They only take 12 ft-lb.

·
Registered
658 Posts
a wire nut works really well as an alternative to the marble... my son is not old enough to play with marbles yet and my F-I-L is an electrician. I used what was laying around. A nice plus is that if I need to remove it I can use a screw in the threads instead of trying to squeeze the marble out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Install your pipes with New Crush gaskets then go from there

It is highly likely you will NOT need a processor. Do a plug check after 20-50 miles and you will no. Do not marble first, just install pipes with new gaskets and ride. You are more app. to run lean in higher altitudes but from everything I have read 75% of the bike do not backfire, pop so again it is highly likely you will NOT need any further mods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After being told I would not need a fuel management system I put on cobra longshots and guess what..I have some back fire.. Soooo fuel management system here i come..Lottsa money!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
After being told I would not need a fuel management system I put on cobra longshots and guess what..I have some back fire.. Soooo fuel management system here i come..Lottsa money!
Vance & Hines or Dobeck Performance have fuel processors that will serve your purpose and you will save a lot of $.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts