Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a false start yesterday I got down to business to install my cobra auto tuner. I did this after putting on a Baron BAK and getting a Fuel injection red light remaining on "issue."

It took longer to disassemble the tool box, move this and that, and elevate the gas tank, than the physical hook up. Got it back together and still have the FI light issue but will run it and see what effect it has on the overall.

Looking to replace the exhaust in the spring so I figured I'd put this device on now. Will give you a review down the road. I will note that my Clymer dawasaki manual came in handy during the disassembly and reinstall.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
took it out for a quick half hour run on one of my local loops that covers a little of everything. The chip works as advertised. Had a nice, noticeable increase of "pull" in 4th and 5th.

The Baron BAK had caused the bike to run lean and snap, crackle and pop on downshifts. I'd have to say that a solid 95 percent of that has disappeared. Will detail out review in a tank or so! Finally a piece of technology that put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you solve your FI light issue?
no it didnt fix the fi light. i can't figure it out. changed to the bak, installed it according to directions. didnt seem to change the general characteristics of the bike but it did cause alot of popping and crackling on the downshift lowe end of rpm spectrum.

like i said the popping is all but gone and the ranges are tighter in all gears, partifularly in 4 and 5 where throttle response is amazing. It shits and gets for a slow ol' goat.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Did the FI light issue start after the BAK install, but before the Fuel Mgmt install? If so, would the air temp sensor (connector, pinch wire) anything that may cause the ECU to indicate an error.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the FI light issue start after the BAK install, but before the Fuel Mgmt install? If so, would the air temp sensor (connector, pinch wire) anything that may cause the ECU to indicate an error.
Hey Bosco,
It didn't exist with the stock air cleaner. When I put the BAK on it two weeks ago is stayed on. When I did the reinstall today along with the cobra fi2000, i took special care in making sure that no wires were crimpted and that the air cleaner element along with covers were secure with no over air leaks. rechecked the hoses supplied to the back of the bak as well.

It's running great but the light remains on. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hey Bosco,
It didn't exist with the stock air cleaner. When I put the BAK on it two weeks ago is stayed on. When I did the reinstall today along with the cobra fi2000, i took special care in making sure that no wires were crimpted and that the air cleaner element along with covers were secure with no over air leaks. rechecked the hoses supplied to the back of the bak as well.

It's running great but the light remains on. Bill
Sounds like there is an error condition in the DFI (like a cars check engine light). There are codes (FI light blinks a sequence to indicate the error) and list of what they mean in the service manual, plus how to reset the DFI once the error is fixed. You may have already fixed the issue but the DFI requires a reset (hopefully).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts