Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undertook the installation of these 'FAtty Cobra 'crash bars' this weekend for my 2005 V2K... not even close to being an easy job. I thought that they would just bolt on.

1. OK, yes they look very nice. But that said...

2. You have to remove both voltage regulators, twist them 90 degrees and remount them further aft under the frame with the newly supplied cobra bracket.

3. Wire harness has to be removed and remounted using yet another newly supplied cobra bracket and now, the new position for the wire harness seems to be pulling on it pretty hard.

4. Had to break off and remove one of the thottle cable clips in order to bolt the bars onto the top of the frame.

Wow, It almost seems like cobra didnt design the bars for this bike at all.... I'd definately go with someone else, if i had to do it again.

Anyone else go the DIY route with these bars?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I did, and had similar issues. The only thing that helped with the regulators was I had to rebuild the plug for one this spring so the wires were longer. Other than that, they were sort of a PITA to put on. I didn't have to break any brackets for the throttle cables though.

They do look nice, though. I got Kury 1.5" magnum brackets and isp pegs to mount on them, too.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
big Bear Bars for a big bad bike

Undertook the installation of these 'FAtty Cobra 'crash bars' this weekend for my 2005 V2K... not even close to being an easy job. I thought that they would just bolt on.

Anyone else go the DIY route with these bars?
BB'r, yes I have these fAt bars on the bear. They didnt give me any problem going on. yes, I had to do all the things that you write and didn't see it as an issue. then again, I move stuff on my bikes all the time anyway. I like how the bar lower rung actually protects that rectifier from rocks, etc. Personally I dont care for the rectifier being out front and center anyway. some bikes have them buried further back out of site. I have moved some as well.

here also is big fatty handle bar called the "punisher" it is 1.5" dia w/risers. only problem, has 4" centers and the kaw is 3.5", rats. I had this on my roadstar, it was bad.

ps. where o where did that brake master cyl go? it musta fall'd off?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I put them on as well. Took longer then I expected and when I saw that I had to start moving things and using diffrent brackets I was a little aggrivated but once I started doing it and followed the directions step by step, It was a breeze. If I had to do it again it would take 20 to 30min. Actually very easy, just take your time and follow the directions, dont get ahead of your self and dont try to force anything, it all fits fine. Im very happy with them. Also added the Kuyur%$#%?? longhorn adjustable highway pegs which are awesome.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Fatty Bars

BlackBeasty..I just got the Cobra bars in the mail today and was starting the installation on my '05 vn2000 when I got jammed up at the regulator. I thought it was a long shot that someone might have the same ??'s I had when swapping out the stock bracket. Sure enough, I wasn't the only one thinkin, is this gonna work? I don't like having to turn the regulators...I had enough slack, but it is f'n tight. I follwed the directions but I fought a little while with the installation of the drive side. The spacer that came with it was too wide and I was wondering what the hell I was gonna do. So, I did just the opposite of what the directions said and I installed the drive side first and things fell into place. (Took me 2 hours.) I didn't have any issues with anything else. Bars look great!

-Tom

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guess I will throw my $.02 in. Yea was a pain, one spacer was to big, had to grind it down to fit, regulators were a pain but only because I didn't know what I was doing. My irritation is, put a scratch on chrome on front jug because I didn't have another set of hands to hold the bars while messing with the first bolt. But they do look nice.
Really like those handle bars you have there Ponch, would like something like that but since I have the that big headlight nacell no can do.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Really like those handle bars you have there Ponch, would like something like that but since I have the that big headlight nacell no can do.
thems barz are called "punishers". they fit my ol RoadStar as they have 4"-100mm centers on the built in risers. our Kaws are 3.5"(same as hardleys). so could not port this over.. and have since moved to 12"monkey bahrs.

fatty roll bars is no big issue. moving them rectifiers is not a big deal. I have since completely rewired much of my bike and moved the rectifiers back behind the motor/tranny. all that stock wire, harness, connectors is just uhglee plumbing. but mos guys dont touch their bikes as they fear making mistakes. I make plenty. mods. mistakes are few an far between. iz called learnin. If you arent makin mistakes is cuz you aint doin nothin. boring as the next bike, looks jus like yor bike, cuz it is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guess the 1.25 drag bars I had on my Royal Star are about the same, still in a box somewhere. I prefer the grip angle on them over the vn2000 bars but really like the grip angle on my Rune, fits perfect without any twisting of the wrist. Sorry I digress from the fatty bar theme!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
if it weren't for the digerr's,, this place would be boring as hell. digress yor lil heart content!

·
Registered
101 Posts
put mine on about a yr ago--chrome is already starting to chip off the mounts--one thing i noticed w/ mine --the left side is about 1.5 " shorter(closer to the frame) than the right --is this the same on everybodys or did i get a poorly made bar ? other than that it really looks good on the v2k

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bh,, have had my cobra fatties on the v2k for mor n 3yrs/30k miles w/o any issues. Krome is good. it is same both sides? the barz saved the skoot when I had a small mishap las winter. worth ever penny.
did have cobra fatties on my RoadStar for 5yrs an never had an issue. me thinks you got a bad bah'r?
also, none my skoots sit outside, lest am riding them. outside air is hard on everthing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ponch mines keep in a temp controlled shop(my doghouse) so weather not an issue--think i jus got a bad one --like u said it did save some paint on mine this past spring when it tipped over leaving my driveway due to a hard rain and red clay--jus leaned a little farther than it does on the kickstand-always wondered before then if the bar would actually work but never had the nerve to tip it over on purpose

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
had the front tire slide out from unner neath me in the rain-road oil, jus doin a slow tip in roll onto freeway ramp. the bike just sat down on the roll bar, slid maybe 20ft. when it came to a stop, it sat down on the right rear bag. a lil cherry there. thas all folks. worth ever penny.

·
Registered
754 Posts
cobra bars

Dogg, you're right about having someone hold the bars, I was thinking that while trying to balance them. I'm gonna look at dropping that regulator out again and seeing if I cant drill two new holes in Cobras bracket to mount the regulators the way they were on the stock bracket. Just dont like the constant tension on the wires.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
tb, why not consider removing some of the wire tie downs, adjusting the wires for less tension and then reconnect the tie downs or use nylon zip-ties to secure the wire harnesses.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good point Poncho..if I can find where there is a tie down I will probably go that route. And once I got a closer look at where the new bracket puts the regulators I can see the coolant hose would be in the way. Thanks for idea.

-Tom

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mucho gracias, por favor.. spanglish is 'fishal lang'wich mos texuns

1 - 18 of 18 Posts