Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy the cobra speedster sweft exhaust for my 08 vulcan 900 custom, and i need to know what else i need. i am just wondering if the new exhaust will change anything if so is there any other parts that are required? i do not know much about motorcycles and that is why i am asking. i do not want to do something that i will regret later.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would defiantly get a cobra tuner also one of their bitchin new air filters. Or a barons air filter. On the tuner pay the extra 20 bucks and get the one that plugs right in to everything. And you're done. No tuning from there is needed it comes with the correct settings already set. They do tons of dyno testing. My neighbor is a vice president there. He told me just plug it in and go!

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are 2 gaskets (1 for each pipe) that form a seal between the head pipe and the cylinder head where the pipe seats into it. Change these when you install the new pipes. I am sure there are people on here who feel you can get away without doing this. These generally are the same people that want to use 99 cent oil from Walmart and $2.00 oil filters. It amazes me that people will buy a fine piece of quality machinery and try to nickel-dime the maintenance. If you don't go to a free flowing air filter you shouldn't have to make any changes to the fuel management system. If you have any excessive deceleration "popping" there is a procedure called marbling that you will find described on here that is simple and costs between nothing and the cost of a glass marble that should help with that. The gaskets are generally a stock item at your local Kawi dealer and should cost about $8.00 for the set of them. Cobra makes nice pipes. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
851 Posts
I just put on some cobra speedster longs and i needed nothing...they were easy to install! 4 nuts on the exhaust head and 4 bolts on the exhaust pipes and they'll come right off, you'll have two metal oring seals inside where the exhaust goes into the head. i didn't know they were ther till i went to put on my cobra's and one fell out, i didnt change them cause the dealer was closed and i wanted my pipes on but that would be up to you if you change them! My cobra's are load! Enjoy your pipes!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
i do not want to do something that i will regret later.
Buy some ear plugs .... hearing loss at 50 is a real bummer ... at 60 it has advantages, you wont hear the old lady bitchen.:D

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I am going to buy the cobra speedster sweft exhaust for my 08 vulcan 900 custom, and i need to know what else i need. i am just wondering if the new exhaust will change anything if so is there any other parts that are required? i do not know much about motorcycles and that is why i am asking. i do not want to do something that i will regret later.
New O ring crush gaskets and marble the PAIR system. These two things will go a long ways towards eliminating decel popping. Ear plugs for you will go a long ways towards saving your hearing too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed, I have an 07 with the Cobra pipes and nothing was done. Bike runs great, occasional back fire when I let off the the throttle...but nothing really weird. And yes...GET EAR PLUGS!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
its a direct bolt on easy install, you should probaly get new gaskets but its not a show stopper. They should come with removable baffles , if you plan on taking em out do it before you install. I love the sound of the pipes, totally made me love the bike in a new way. I dont think there that loud? I do have hearing loss from iraq and afghanistan though? hahahaha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advise on the exhaust. I just got done ordering the exhaust and a FI2000r fuel processor today for only $700. I should get the exhaust in about 7 day. I am going to get the new gaskets before i install anything. The only bad thing is that i have to wait until all the snow melts before i can ride, which that will not be for at least another month or so:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts