Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get the 1.5" Cobra Engne Guards for my wife's 900 Classic. But I see they only come in 1.25". From what I have read, it seems like the 1.25's will fold on impact and will not hold up like 1.5's do. Anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations. Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
they are called "highway" bars for a reason. they are not meant to sustain a "crash" where the bike would be damaged. mainly they are used for protection of the tank and engine components in the event of a drop or set down. something that wouldn't fold a 1.25" bar in half :)

most brands will be the same but the Kaw OEM project forward as opposed to straight out like aftermarket. I kind of like this since I have pegs and not boards.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have a 1 1/4" bar on my 800 that has saved the bike and my legs twice in low speed, 35 mph and less, slides without folding up. They kept the bars, and tank off the ground, and kept the bike from laying on my leg while sliding. If you are looking for protection from a side impact, maybe you should get an SUV? For light impacts, the bars work as designed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, maybe impact was the wrong word to use. I have been searching to find where I read about the 1.5 being much sturdier than the 1.25. But as usual, I can't find the forum. It would make sense that they would be. However, something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pete, no worries. But as you have found most are of the 1.25 variety and will do you perfectly fine. I'm sure the 1.5 are sturdier or stronger (size can matter) but maybe more expensive?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, I would like a highway bar to minimize damage if it is dropped. I would rather if would fold instead of being so strong that it bends the frame.
Unless your leg was trapped under it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hwy. / crash / foot rest bar.

It might be better to fold a little rather than staying so rigid. If a bike got up on the bar that wouldn't absorb some energy it might tumble wildly..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be better to fold a little rather than staying so rigid. If a bike got up on the bar that wouldn't absorb some energy it might tumble wildly..
That's true. Some give would be good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What they sell today are not crash bars my any means. They're only meant to help with tip overs and hold foot pegs. You lay a bike over going down the road you better be thinking quick enough to get the hell away from it. I've been down once and on the way down threw my leg in the air and when I made contact with the ground was trying to roll away from the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts