Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cobra 2-into-1 Power Hp Pro too loud ... Added a Smartpartz Baffle

So finally got a motorcycle license, tag/title, insurance, etc . Went for a ride and almost went deaf lol. Ears were ringing for an hour.

I thought I saw a post for aftermarket baffles someone put on their Cobra pipes, but I cant seem to find the post now.

Suggestions?

*EDIT*

Well I installed the Smartpartz Baffle today.

I had to remove all the heatshields. Then I had to remove the rear section of the tailpipe. Removed the 4 allen screws from the endcap of the pipe. Removed the end cap of the pipe. I put a wooden dowell down the pipe from the end connected to the front pipe section. This allowed me to bump out the Cobra baffle.

Removed fiberglass around the factory baffle. Put new baffle inside Cobra baffle. Drilled two holes matching the new baffle. Inserted and tightened allen bolts in new baffle.

Reinstalled everything and cranked her up.

Here are the before/after decibels.

At idle when cold 8" from pipe end.
108/100

At idle when warm 8" from pipe end.
100/89

At around 4000 rpm's 8" from pipe end.
127/120

At around 4000 rpm's on the rear seat
111/103

So it helped a decent amount. But the real advantage is the tone change. Before the tone was a bit high pitched which when coupled with the higher volume gave me a bad headache. Now the tone is a lot lower and with the reduced volume no more headaches yet

And the power seems to be exactly the same, no difference.

Now back to riding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sheez I always find the answer 5 minutes after posting.

Anyways it was the Smartpartz Baffle.

If this will cause any problems please inform me :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Sheez I always find the answer 5 minutes after posting.

Anyways it was the Smartpartz Baffle.

If this will cause any problems please inform me :)
If still to loud, try using earplugs, i use them all the time and i can still hear everything around me including my scala bluetooth, intercom and headset.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I will definitely do this if the baffles don't help.

I get bad migraines and can't handle the loud noise. Weird thing is the pipes are quiet at low speeds, but at 55 and up they get terribly loud.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mmmmm I'll say if you have to use ear plugs then they're probably too loud for you and everyone around you. You can wrap the baffles with exhaust wrap, this will help lower the noise but still have a nice rumble loud enough were vehicles can hear u on the freeway.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the Smartpartz baffles in my Cobra 2 into 1 and it helped bunches. You won't need ear plugs
Thanks.

What was the main reason for you adding the baffle?? Was the Cobra to loud when accelerating or running in 5th gear at near highway speeds.

Also was it a problem installing the baffle? I looked in the end of my Cobra pipe and just see a tube about 12" long with wire on the edges. Doesn't seem to be anything in there. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks.

What was the main reason for you adding the baffle?? Was the Cobra to loud when accelerating or running in 5th gear at near highway speeds.

Also was it a problem installing the baffle? I looked in the end of my Cobra pipe and just see a tube about 12" long with wire on the edges. Doesn't seem to be anything in there. Am I missing something?
I guess I'm getting old it was just too loud. My Cobras had an open type of baffle that was wrapped in fiberglass, had to drill 2 holes to mount the baffles and it just kind of mellowed out the soound. don't want it any quieter or louder.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thanks.

That's the removable baffle and it's wrapped in fiberglass I believe there's one screw holding it in. Still a pita to remove I removed the fiberglass around mine but I wanted more sound.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I installed the baffle today.

I had to remove all the heatshields. Then I had to remove the rear section of the tailpipe. Removed the 4 allen screws from the endcap of the pipe. Removed the end cap of the pipe. I put a wooden dowell down the pipe from the end connected to the front pipe section. This allowed me to bump out the Cobra baffle.

Removed fiberglass around the factory baffle. Put new baffle inside Cobra baffle. Drilled two holes matching the new baffle. Inserted and tightened allen bolts in new baffle.

Reinstalled everything and cranked her up.

Here are the before/after decibels.

At idle when cold 8" from pipe end.
108/100

At idle when warm 8" from pipe end.
100/89

At around 4000 rpm's 8" from pipe end.
127/120

At around 4000 rpm's on the rear seat
111/103

So it helped a decent amount. But the real advantage is the tone change. Before the tone was a bit high pitched which when coupled with the higher volume gave me a bad headache. Now the tone is a lot lower and with the reduced volume no more headaches yet :)

And the power seems to be exactly the same, no difference.

Now back to riding.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow, that's interesting hailrazer. How did you make those measurements? Just for informational purposes, a decrease of 3dB is half, so your decrease from 100dB to 89dB suggests a reduction in sound of almost 4 times or 1/4 of the original sound level. That's pretty significant. Another interesting fact is that the minimum change the human ear can discern is about 3db. So, when increasing the sound it would have to double and when decreasing the sound it would have to half for the normal person to discern any change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that's interesting hailrazer. How did you make those measurements? Just for informational purposes, a decrease of 3dB is half, so your decrease from 100dB to 89dB suggests a reduction in sound of almost 4 times or 1/4 of the original sound level. That's pretty significant. Another interesting fact is that the minimum change the human ear can discern is about 3db. So, when increasing the sound it would have to double and when decreasing the sound it would have to half for the normal person to discern any change.
I used an spl meter I have. I used to be into car audio :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I put the Smartpartz baffles in my Cobra 2 into 1 and it helped bunches. You won't need ear plugs
i did the same for my vance & hines... definitely helped! i liked the rumble, but top end noise was annoying and rolling on the highway was hard to get use to because i had the same ringing after a ride...

i'd be curious to know what the vance & hines sound like with the stock baffles vs. the smartpartz ones... mine came totally debaffled from dealer...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm running Cobra Speedster Shorts out of the box with the help of an Arlen Ness Big Sucker on the intake and lovin' it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I did my first test ride with the Cobra Powerplus 2-1 system... and I just ordered smartpartz baffles. It was probably 4-5 miles round trip.:eek:

Being longer aftermarket pipes, I thought they'd be louder than stock, but not 'piss off the neighbors and leave your ears ringing an hour postride' loud. Normally the short 'drag' pipes are the obnoxious ones that give us MC guys a bad name.

I do love the authoritative sound, a kind of 'pulsey' deep bumbumbumbumbumbum that instantly becomes a (very) loud snarl with a little rev (I flicked the throttle and my tach went to 2000rpm, maybe a touch higher). I slowly revved it up to about 5k and backed it down, and the sound is awesome, the tone could be improved (knock out some high frequency), and the volume could go down a bit, too.

I like the 'pop pop pop' when I let off the throttle, my first car did that and I liked it, it doesn't sound like I imagined (a constant pop pop pop pop pop pop....).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thinking about that pipe setup myself. Either that or the Speedster Longs. I'm partially deaf as it is, between one ruptured eardrum in a car accident, another when I blew up a tire at my shop, and years as the bass player in a rock band. I can barely hear my stock pipes at highway speed, even with my helmet off.

Might aggravate the wife tho...hrm.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I can barely hear my stock pipes at highway speed, even with my helmet off.Might aggravate the wife tho...hrm.
is that a plus or a minus?:confused:.. "no thats ok.. you just go for a ride by yorself.";)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
She'll just make me buy her her own bike, Ponch. And then insist on riding in front.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
She'll just make me buy her her own bike, Ponch. And then insist on riding in front.
if you play yor cards correctly, she will get yor bike and you can get a new bigger one... whaallaah! yor a genius! and yor welcome. ponchout

1 - 20 of 28 Posts