Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guyz, I installed the mean streak clutch spring on my friends Vulcan. When we took the bike apart, I measured the thickness of the friction plates and they were well within spec. Put the whole thing back together using the new spring. My friend says the clutch is slipping when the bike is warm.

the plates looked good and measured to spec. Stiffer spring should mean no slipping.

I am at a loss here.

What do you guyz think it could be?

The oil we used is Yamalube 10w40

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Years ago I had the same issue once before. I had made a mistake in the plate sequence. I seem to recall that the factory manual had shown the sequence correctly but I had a Clymers. Dic you put in a new clutch pack or just the spring? The way I read it , it was just the spring.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Two things spring to mind (no pun intended LOL) & both have been covered :) the LAST plate in the wrong place & the small hole in the M/C

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the equalizing hole in your clutch master cylinder (i.e. the really tiny hole) is plugged a slipping clutch is a symptom.
When I did the clutch I bled the clutch fluid and the master reservoir was plain nasty. I cleaned it quickly with a rag but did not pay attention to that pinhole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two things spring to mind (no pun intended LOL) & both have been covered :) the LAST plate in the wrong place & the small hole in the M/C
I pulled the plates to measure them but I paid great attention to the order AND the direction of each plate. It would highly surprise me if one was off.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi @Jfman I'm NOT saying you got it wrong LOL I'm just sayin you could have :) , The last friction plate should be 1 dog off :) & IF your saying that your M/C was full of crud then you should CLEAN it out :) the tiny hole is the fluid return & IF blocked it will cause your clutch to slip :( The best way to check is have the top off your M/C pull your clutch in & see if you get fluid spurting back thru the small hole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts