Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 08 1600 Nomad, I has a noise (clicking/clunking ) sound coming from around the clutch area when idling or açelerating, but seems quiet on decelerating. I have pulled the clutch apart to investigate and see 2 possible issues but my local Kawasaki dealer is not to knowledgeable on the Vulcan.
The drive gear on the clutch drum moves ( with a little force by hand) and the springs appear loose in this torque assembly.
Also, there is a 1 way drive hub between the clutch drum and the inner hub that hs some play that may make noise.
Any suggestions on this misterious noise?
The bike performance has not changed but the noise seems to be getting more noticable as I put on moremiles.
Thanks for now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Somebody else can chime in here but, I would look into the bevel gear bearing. I thought I was having clutch issues until my bearing caused a noise coming from the clutch side of the bike. The noise that I experienced happened after I let off the throttle after accelerating while staying in gear. I also felt a slight pull back. It turned out to be a failing bevel gear bearing but, I am not sure if that is what you are experiencing. L

That is a good post on the subject. I know there is a very detailed post on the subject somewhere on this forum, as well. I was trying to find it when I stumbled upon your post. If I find it, I will post a link to that one, as well.

If it is the bearing, everyone recommends that the bike should not be ridden until the issue is resolved. There have been reports of the problem causing further issues and even of bikes catching on fire. Like I said, I am not sure if that is your problem or a part of it but, maybe something to look into to cross off the list of potential issues. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply and also the attached post, excellent and detailed information. I am definitely going to check the bevel gear for any possible issues before I ride again.
I am still waiting on My Kawasaki dealer, they put in a request for more information about the clutch basket and what amount of play is acceptable. ( gear to drum)
I seem to only get this (Clacking) noise under acceleration and sitting idling. deceleration is quiet.
I will post my findings as I dig deeper.
Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.
A lot of good info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts