Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2006 Vulcan 200 ltd with 48K miles.. Last week the clutch cable broke for the second time in 25K miles. It was just down the road so it did not aggravate me too badly. After waiting for new cable to arrive and spending the time to put it now the clutch will NOT disengage. Put it in gear and clutch pulled or not the big heavy beast is obviously in gear.

Before I take it to the shop and have multiple hundreds of dollars taken out of my pocket, does anyone have ideas that I might try? Please??

Thanks for whatever help my be out there :confused:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
What position is the.. umm.. not sure what it's called.. the part the rear of the cable attaches to, the clutch itself.

What position is it in when the lever is pulled and when the lever is not pulled.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Adjust your new clutch cable properly. Make sure when you pull the clutch lever in that the actuation lever under the clutch housing is moving. If you can, get the transmission in neutral, the neutral finder can make this a PITA. Make sure bike is pointed in a safe direction, raise the side stand, pull clutch lever in, apply both brakes and start bike. Should be enough to break the clutch plates loose. Or, if you have some help, pull the clutch lever in and rock the bike to break the plates loose. My clutch did the same thing after sitting awhile, I put a little Seafoam in the oil and ran it a while, then changed the oil. No problems since. Make sure the oil you use is rated for a motorcycle with a wet clutch. Several threads about this in the Lubrication Forum under General Vulcan Talk.

FYI: New Kawasaki factory clutch cables around $25.00 on Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. The clutch lever is moving. Tried rocking the bike but the clutch is still engaged. Going to the shop on Friday. Probably have to mortgage my house to get the bike fixed.
Seriously considering another bike. Maybe one that has after market part availability. I like this ltd but with the lack of after market parts and the extreme cost of service, I have to wonder if I made a mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts