Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang...I just replaced it 6 months ago. The Kaw engineers really screwed up on this one. I think I'm going to have the push rod chrome plated so it quits tearing this gasket up.
Anyone else having to frequently replace this oil seal?

·
Registered
118 Posts
yea Bill, If it is pushed in just a little it will leak again. I changed mine out when I got the bike and it started leaking a month later. When I got my tires replaced, I ask the tech to look at it and he showed me where I went wrong, took it out and put it back the right way...no leak in a year. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
By 'pushed in just a little' do you mean the seal is not seated all the way? I replaced the seal (again) this morning and found the old one had popped out of its mount hole. I think the last time I just pushed into place with my fingers. This time I used a deep well socket aand mallet to tap it firmly in place. I seated it flush with the case. That might have been why it failed. (Maybe the Kaw engineers didn't screw up after all:rolleyes:)
Also, the surface of the push rod was pitted, very rough. That would act like a file to enlarge the seal hole. I polished it smooth with some very fine wool.
Rode the bike to work and no more leak! Time will tell if it's fixed.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Just one other caution...it is possible to push seal all the way through and that will not make your day!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just one other caution...it is possible to push seal all the way through and that will not make your day!
I was surprised there wasn't a lip inside the hole for the seal to seat up against and to prevent it from being shoved all the way through. When I saw that my first thought was 'be careful not to shove it in to far!'
Also noticed this time there is a difference in the push rod ends. The flat end gets a dab of grease and goes into the engine against the clutch and the end with a dimple sticks out to insert into the clutch servo. Just an FYI for the next guy who has to do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts