Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 92 Vulcan 500. Holding the clutch lever tight to the bar kick it in gear and lurch stalls like I'm not even holding it. Linkage moves. New to bikes this is my first one I have ridden one other and it scared me lol R1.. not for me hope I can get this thing going.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sounds like your clutch cable is out of adjustment. If you have the manual, check for proper clearance at the lever. If you don't have access to a manual try leaving 1 to 1.5 mm freeplay at the lever.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
244 Posts
Mine does it first time of the day...and has very little slack at the lever.
If I pull in the clutch and wait for 30 seconds or so it helps.
After that its good for the rest of the day.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, Agree that you should double check the adjustment on the clutch cable, this is a routine maintenance item that sometimes needs to be fine tuned.
Does it do this every time you shift into 1st or just when cold on the first start of the day? Also does the clutch makes any kind of grinding noise when the bike lurches? If it’s only when cold then it could be that the oil isn’t properly flowing in between the friction plates after sitting. If the cable looks to be correctly adjusted and you have the correct free play you can try pumping the clutch lever repeatedly before your first shift to see if that smooths things out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does it every time. I have not been able to ride it at all. Even if it's in gear I pull the clutch she won't even roll. Thanks for the help folks!
Mine does it first time of the day...and has very little slack at the lever.
If I pull in the clutch and wait for 30 seconds or so it helps.
After that its good for the rest of the day.

I will try that

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it going yall! Thank you so much! Adjusted the cable and added some oil she was low. Held the clutch for about a min and she went nice and smooth into first! Now I gotta put her away it's about to storm here in Maine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
244 Posts
Got it going yall! Thank you so much! Adjusted the cable and added some oil she was low. Held the clutch for about a min and she went nice and smooth into first! Now I gotta put her away it's about to storm here in Maine. Thanks again!
Free fixes are the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Adjusted the cable and added some oil she was low.
Be aware... It DOES make a difference for your clutch to use the proper motorcycle oil.
It surprised me how even with different motorcycle oils, I could notice a difference between clutch feel.

In all the motorcyle oils... there is some additive to protect/imporve clutch action.

NOTE: I had to replace the cable on my 500. It might be 'sticky' inside the sleeve. Others on this forum might echo my thought: Consider having a new cable on hand, or even getting a newer easy sliding one (I did NOT do that, they cost too much). Not that expensive. Many people carry one on their rides!

Anyway, a great bike, fast as lightning, agile, I would not have sold mine except at 6'3" going on long trips (backroads) it got a little cramped. Keep the carbs cclean. DO NOT use ethanol gas if at all possible. The jets are soooo tiny that if you let the twin carbs set... the ethanol turns to sugar and clogs them up. That is the #1 problem with that motorcycle. Start it often and ride it often and it will serve you well. Else... google how to rebuild carb!

bought for $750 from black one now will repair and sell for $1200.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
I’m not an oil expert but I think the key is to use motorcycle specific oils because they DO NOT have the additives that are called “friction modifiers” these additives are good for the occasional slipping needed with cars that can buy enormous strain on parts but are not great for the a wet clutch and will cause it to slip. I replaced my clutch plates and springs a couple weeks back, before that when diagnosing the problem I was given a crash course in oil on another forum. The key point is simply using “regular oil” can cause the same effects as wearing clutch plates and/or springs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A very slippery issue.
A film of mystery covers parts of it.
We need to filter our thoughts about it.
We need to have the capacity to handle it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts