Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch problems

I have a 99 vulcan 1500 . I had slippage with the clutch and i didnt ride the bike for almost 3 years .
Finally bought the parts and took it all apart and got it back together torqued and all . Then i tried to put back on the clutch cover plate and noticed the push rod which attaches to some bearings and washers before the cover plate is pushed out and i cant get it to move . It stick out about 1/4 of an inch or more and its preventing the cover plate from going back on .
Really dont know what i did wrong . And also the clutch lever is as stiff as a board . Wont budge . Not sure if this happened after the reassembley??. Took it all back apart to see if i missed something but didnt notice anything . Im stumped !!??? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 99 vulcan 1500 . I had slippage with the clutch and i didnt ride the bike for almost 3 years . Finally bought the parts and took it all apart and got it back together torqued and all . Then i tried to put back on the clutch cover plate and noticed the push rod which attaches to some bearings and washers before the cover plate is pushed out and i cant get it to move . Really dont know what i did wrong . And also the clutch lever is as stiff as a board . Wont budge . Not sure if this happened after the reassemble ??. Took it all back apart to see if i missed something but didnt notice anything . Im stumped !!??? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea its kinda weird and im pretty sure we arent the only ones that this has happend to.
Hopefully we get some positive assistance soon. Keep me posted if you find out anything . Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you get it working? My problem was not putting that last final aluminium keeper on first. And then the clutch spring.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If your clutch get hards as rock when pumped, then your problem lies between the slave cylinder and clutch basket/clutch spring. It is possible that the slave cylinder is moving but then freezing, but it is highly unlikely. When you pull the clutch handle the master cylinder feeds the fluid to the slave cylinder. The spring assisted piston in the slave cylinder moves the clutch rod 1mm (just over 1/3 of an inch) This moves the clutch basket that 1mm to allow the friction plates to turn freely until the pressure is released again, closing the gap. What is happening to you is when the slave cylinder piston is extending it is either reaching the end of its limit without having pushed the push rod or it has pushed the push rod and the rod is running into a brick wall which is not allowing it to move further and complete the 1mm movement to release the clutch basket. So something from the slave cylinder to the nut holding on the clutch basket is hosed. When mine did that I had forgotten to tie down the clutch handle before I started so when I re-assembled my clutch I pushed the push rod in (because you can't get the clutch spring on properly if the push rod is extended), but by the time I got to re-seating the clutch spring and tightening down bolt, the rod had moved back out. I tightened it up but because the rod wasn't seated properly I didn't get it tight enough. As soon as started the engine the centrifugal force loosened the clutch spring allowing the rod to extend far enough that my slave cylinder would hit its end and freeze up just like yours is doing. Pulled it apart again and found the bolt was loose and realized my mistake. The second time I tied down the clutch handle so that the pressure would not extend the rod all the way and then reseated everything and tightened the bolt down again to specs. She has been fine ever since about 3 years now. So that is where you have to look. cylinder, rod, clutch basket, spring and all the other little springs. Properly torqued and seated bolt holding the whole thing together. Hope this helps in some way, but that is where you will find your problem. Apologies for the layman detail but I have no way of knowing what or how much knowledge you have so thought I would just add it in, in case it might help in some way. P.S. The only other thing that can cause your problem is if the fluid is not moving from the master to slave cylinder. Just pull the slave cylinder off and watch it to make sure it is extending properly from the master cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay ill check it out and probably see if i can work on it tomorrow if i have the chance . Thanks for the reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not yet . But hopefully ill have the time to look at it tomorrow. Ill keep you posted . Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for your reply . I will definitely check it out . Once i get the time . Yea i never tied my clutch down before i started. So more than likely like yu said my push rod is fully extended with no more travel . . I didnt know i had to do that . Thanks a lot for the reply . I really appreciate it
Ill keep you posted .

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have been struggling with this same problem for a couple of weeks. I bled my system and rebuilt the slave cylinder. Let me tell you, that slave looked like it was brand new when I first opened it up. No need for new part but put them in anyway.

I did exactly as the manual says, tightened the hub nut, then pulled in the handle slowly and tried to install the pin....would not go in all the way. Let the handle out and that's when it starting binding. Would not move when I pulled, hard as a rock. Cracked the bleed valve on the slave and pressure was gone.

I'm rambling, sorry. Retrobagger is right. Here's what I did: Took cap off master cylinder, cracked bleed valve at slave, left open and put cap loosely on master. Reassembled clutch and tightened hub nut. Slowly pulled clutch in and tied it down, pushed pin in, finished clutch side, closed bleed valve, topped off master and put cap on. May have to bleed again as the clutch lever is softer than I think it should be. Filled with oil, started right up. NOW, will not shift into gear! Not first, not second.

Had enough for today so the ***** is sitting in the shed, no ride for her today!

Good luck to you guys. Hopefully you'll have it easier.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey thanks for the input guys ( saki1500vulcan, Retrobagger, TrapperAh1G ) . Yea Retrobagger was right . Thanks again for the detailed instructions Retrobagger . I had to bleed the slave cylinder just like you mentioned
. Altho i havent put it all back together i have a better understanding of the system all thanks to you guys . I appreciate it . Have another question . Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the shift drum by the shaft forks i think its called . Wanted to inspect it to see if the gear on the shift drum is chipped or missing any part of the gear . I read where others had a problem with 1st and 2nd gear during shifting and it ended up being a part of the drum missing. I had the same issues when it was running so i figured since i still have it apart i might as well check that too .
Ill only do it if its not too hard to access the shift drum
. Any inputs would be appreciated and once again thanks for all that have replied and made this clutch issue much easier for me .

·
Registered
31 Posts
RetroBagger, I am having issues with my clutch as well. Can you refer me to an exploded view so I know where the washers go? I have a 99 Nomad and had to replace my oil pump gear. I got the JOG replacement. I had to let my bike sit for a couple of months and am not sure that everything is in the proper place. After installing the gear and putting the clutch back together, the clutch handle wouldn't disengage the clutch plates. Currently I can let my clutch out but the plates dont lock up. I've looked at a few exploded views but there are subtle differences. I specifically need to walk from the engine out starting with the large washer before the main bearing goes on before the clutch basket. I too forgot the tie the clutch handle in place. I would like this to be the last time I remove everything and put it back together for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts