Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
After having some issues with my clutch slipping and being unable to fix it with adjustments to the cable (and I use motorcycle oil, don't worry), I decided to replace my clutch plates. I found a few videos online for the Ninja 650, and Versys. But no Vulcan S specific ones. I got everything disassembled today, took the plates out, and carefully made sure to keep them in order. However, in my Vulcan I had two steel plates touching with no friction plate between them. In the Ninja and Versys videos they simply alternated. My Vulcan has 7 friction plates, same as the other two bikes, and same that comes in the kit made for my bike. So I'm pretty confused about this.
Has anyone changed their clutch plates and noticed this? Is mine set up incorrectly (and maybe that's what causing my issues because the plates look pretty good)? Any help is welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Clutch plates

Hello there, I have a Vulcan 900 Classic an this bike has 8 friction plates and 7 steel plates and they are mounted starting with a friction plate and alternating with the steel plates ending with a friction plate , and to the best of my knowledge most bikes use this set up (alternating the plates). So I think your clutch was assemblied worng . The link to Parzilla might shine some light on your doubts , also you might try to download the service manual for your bike , wish you luck in solving your problem.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
There definitely should be 4 Friction plates and 3 Steel plates. Alternating in assembly. Friction plate, Steel plate, Friction plate, Steel plate, Friction plate, Steel plate, Friction plate. If you had 2 Steel plates together then there should have also been two Friction plates together. Were they? Sounds unlikely that the factory would have made that big of a mistake and I doubt that the bike would have shifted very well in that configuration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I figured it out. The Vulcan is supposed to have 7 plates, 5 steel plates. I reassembled with new friction on the outsides and between the steel and the bike pulls so much harder than ever, and no slipping. I put 20% stiffer springs in too. The difference is amazing. I'm not sure if the previous weirdly tried to change the plates or it came this way from the factory. Oddly, none of the plates, steel or friction, were very worn at all. I think the order just caused them to act oddly.
Thank you for the help! I'm glad I got it figured out, and I learned a lot! Worth it!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
So, I figured it out. The Vulcan is supposed to have 7 plates, 5 steel plates. I reassembled with new friction on the outsides and between the steel and the bike pulls so much harder than ever, and no slipping. I put 20% stiffer springs in too. The difference is amazing. I'm not sure if the previous weirdly tried to change the plates or it came this way from the factory. Oddly, none of the plates, steel or friction, were very worn at all. I think the order just caused them to act oddly.
Thank you for the help! I'm glad I got it figured out, and I learned a lot! Worth it!
5 steel plates? :confused: It does have 7 plates but I believe only 3 Steel and 4 friction.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I don't know about that but I have never pulled a clutch apart that only had 7 plates total. Also the barnett clutch pack has 7 friction and 6 steel. Now my Beemers only had 1 but that was a different animal.:devil2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts