Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this morning on the way to work I started hearing a bit of a whining sound I guess I'd call it from the clutch side. I have had a little slippage every now and then and just wondering if it's time for a clutch. I bought the bike with 7700 miles and have put another 10000 on it since last july. Any good links on clutch adjustment on this sight that someone knows of off hand? Thanks for any help.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
There are 3 adjustments for the clutch cable on the bike. At the lever, about half way down the cable, and at the clutch end of the cable. There should be about 1/8 of an inch of "play" in the lever. Do you lube your cables? Unless you're horrible with a clutch I can't imagine it's needing replacement with less that 20k on it. I have over 18k on mine and my clutch is fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't lubed the cable at all. I've been riding dirt bikes pretty much my whole life so I'm good with a clutch. My last oil change was a couple months ago and I used mobil 1 synthetic automotive oil not motorcycle specific oil, didn't know it was a bad thing to use until some reading this morning. I'm thinking about changing to the Mobil1 10w-40 4T Racing Oil. I have noticed a little slippage on occasion before my last oil change though. I'll lube the cable and see how the adjustment is and go from there I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After further listening I think I'm hearing the noise from under the left side of the engine. And when I Rev it, I can feel a vibration when I put my hand on the cover... stator failure maybe? I haven't noticed any flickering lights or anything though...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really leaning toward stator failure now. After reading a thread on the sound I'm thinking that's what it is. Going to do a voltage test and make sure.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
does the sound happen all the time? get louder with revs etc?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, especially when I rev it up. Just started this morning. Recently did a 1800 mile trip a week ago and never heard a thing, now this morning it started this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check the chrome cover over the rad. Res. bottle my bracket was bent almost to the belt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to explain the sound I guess. I did check battery with a volt meter and when it's not started it's 12.4 volts. When started it's 14.4 but when I rev it, the volts drop to 14.2. Not sure if that's good?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts