Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for the Vulcan to make a weird clutch noise when cold? Only does it when starting out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not think I will buy another Vulcan. I bought it for my girlfriend and we decided it wasn't a good idea for her to ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is it normal for the Vulcan to make a weird clutch noise when cold? Only does it when starting out.
For information of future readers, this is commonly refered to as the "Coffee Grinder Clutch Noise". Caused by cold oil on the clutch plates. Can be lessened sometimes by changing type of oil you use. It happens to other bikes too.

Doesn`t usually hurt anything, only happens on the intial moving off of the day, and goes away as soon as oil warms up.

BUT sticky, cold oil on clutch plates can cause bike to lurch ahead when the bike is started, :( even if the clutch lever is pulled in, if the tranny is in gear.
For safety`s sake always start a cold bike with the tranny in NEUTRAL.

More info from Vulcan Verses:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091

Especially see second post in this thread.^^

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 1999 Kawasaki KX250 motocross bike that had the worse clutch ever. I tried a couple different clutches in it and it would either have really bad chatter or the plates would stick together when cold. Had to get it moving, jump on it, kick it in gear and then rev the crap out of it to set the clutch free. I guess Kawi's don't have great clutches.

For information of future readers, this is commonly refered to as the "Coffee Grinder Clutch Noise". Caused by cold oil on the clutch plates. Can be lessened sometimes by changing type of oil you use. It happens to other bikes too.

Doesn`t usually hurt anything, only happens on the intial moving off of the day, and goes away as soon as oil warms up.

BUT sticky, cold oil on clutch plates can cause bike to lurch ahead when the bike is started, :( even if the clutch lever is pulled in, if the tranny is in gear.
For safety`s sake always start a cold bike with the tranny in NEUTRAL.

More info from Vulcan Verses:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091

Especially see second post in this thread.^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts