Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my wifes 07 900 lt out of winter hibernation. The clutch makes a lite squeeling noise when going into gear. No noise when pulling the clutch in while in gear. I've got a tick under 1/8' air gap. Any ideas anyone? this one has me stumped.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just gonna try the easy / cheap stuff first... could it be oil? I know a guy who rides a connie and he had an oil leak while he was on a trip and stuck cheap car oil to get by and his clutch was squealing like mad (and slipping and everything else).

If you stored it with conventional oil it's possible the oil has broken down over the winter. (Or heck, even with synthetic I suppose. Oil breaks down over time once it's introduced to acids and moisture and filth from the engine)

If it were my bike I'd change the oil and see if the problem persists. Can't hurt the bike to have an extra oil change!

Could also be (and this one I'm just totally guessing) that maybe parts of the clutch got 'dry' in storage and the oil just needs to circulate through really well? Is that far fetched?

Well anyway, being that it happened AFTER storage, I think oil is the likely culprit. It's hard to burn a clutch up sitting in a garage :p

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yup sounds like oil to me also.

And can you explain "I've got a tick under 1/8' air gap" :confused:

Don't think I have one of those and if its good I WANT ONE TO:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clutch

Stored thre bike with a fresh oil change. When it made the noise, I changed it again thinking it was the problem. This is the first time I've ridden it in over a year. My wife now tells me it's made that noise for a while now.(women!). I'm thinking of tearing it down and replacing the discs. Easy job, just cost$$.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
OK yup I have one of those, mines more like 1/4, just preference.
Check the oil.
He said he did change it.

Well, good luck replacing those discs buddy! haha. Sounds like that is the issue after all.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ok sorry, snuck one in on me. Ouch. Good luck and good wrenching.
Would it be mean to say, "Glad it's you and not me?" hehehe. Kidding, kidding. Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clutch

I keep telling my wife she needs to upgrade to a V2K. Never had clutch issues with that,just excessive tire wear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts