Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I have a 16 900 classic, I've been chasing a belt noise for awhile now (aftermarket front and rear pulleys, you know how it goes) and I finally got the noise straightened out (for the moment) and I started noticing that when I really get into the throttle or I'm taking off on any kind of incline (worse when 2-up) I'm getting a noise out of the case on the left side. Initial gut reaction is it's the clutch because its only when it's cold, under heavier load, or just as the clutch is coming into full contact on take off.

Thoughts anybody?

Whatever it is, it's NOT a "ignore it" kind of noise like the trans whine. This is a rotational metallic squeal. If it was a pickup I would say the clutch is worn down to the rivets kind of noise, but I know that's not a thing in motorcycles.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is it constant? Or just when the clutch grabs? I have a VN750, after fresh oil changes and when it’s cold out it has what’s called “coffee grinder syndrome” , it happens when the wet clutch basically isn’t wet enough and it makes a blood curdling grind while it grabs, but goes away as the engine and the oil heats up. Sometimes just pumping the clutch lever a bunch of times gets the oil circulating.
Just a thought

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is quite a bit worse first thing in the morning, but it's not constant it only does it when the clutch grabs or I put a lot of power to it. more than Likely you're right that it's worse in the morning cause it hasn't circulated the oil enough yet and its cold, but it never used to do that at all before and I've got about 11k on it now and I changed the oil about 800 miles ago.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It sounds like the same type of issue, but I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the newer bikes as much, mine is an 05, on the VN750 forum they say it's normal and harmless, but for those who can't deal with it, there is a mod that they do by removing the clutch basket and drilling a series of 1/16th holes slightly offset from each other around the basket to allow the oil to flow more freely. I haven't felt adventurous enough to do it though.
I also see that you're up in NH, the weather is changing, it was brisk in Philly this AM (60) and i heard just a touch of extra noise pulling away today. I probably won't change my oil until before I park it for winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a fair point, It has been fairly chilly up here the last few days, it was in the 50's when I took off this morning. I guess I'll have to try leaving it at work over night one night (heated shop) and see if it still does it. I don't think I'll be drilling any holes in my clutch basket though, I a work on cars for a living but I don't dare try that haha. I think if I went that far I would just order a different clutch setup.

That is a really good point about it cooling off this time of year though, I had thought of that and the bike was pretty much brand new this time last year. I'll give leaving it inside a shot. Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sure no worries

I got the bike last year (early sept), I had taken a trip to FL in Nov and left the bike with a mechanic to get it ready for storage while I was away, while I was gone it snowed up here, so the only riding I did after I got back was from his shop to the garage I rented, It was warm (the bike) when I picked it up from him so I didn't get to experience a cold start until the following March. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me first time, but I came to expect it. Like you, I too have no desire to drill holes in the basket. I just let her run a for a few extra minutes as it chills down in the good ole North Eastern US and so far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after some thought and research about changing the clutch, (mostly out of worst case scenario morbid curiosity) it occurred to me that the clutch is on the right side... not the left... and yes, for the rest of the class, I'm an ASE certified master mechanic for a Dealership... so after some Exploratory Diagnostic (pulling stuff apart like a caveman) I found a piece of asphalt... wedged in between my primary pulley cover and the pulley (because I have the over sized front pulley it got stuck there, and when I torque up on the engine or let the clutch out the output shaft flexes just enough to pinch that rock... Ya... I'll just be over here... in the corner... with my dunce cap

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, appreciate you taking the time to help out, safe riding.
Hey man glad to help, let’s me feel like I’m giving back. these forums have helped me out a lot over this past year with knowledge gained and also have saved me money by not running to a mechanic for minor issues. If I had a garage to work in, who knows what I would’ve attempted by now lol.
Safe riding to you as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts