Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having some issues lately with the clutch. I have noticed that my clutch lever has been real tight and when I start my bike it only takes minimum pressure to start it. If I squeeze the level all the way my bike will not start, I have to squeeze slightly to engage. Another issue is when I go from neutral to first the bike "lunges" like it wants to take off and then it shuts down. I have to time it just right with the throttle so that it engages. This happens even when the the clutch is engaged. I have to have the brake on just in case. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my issue is? As everyone is aware my clutch is hydraulic and the levels look to be ok. I plan on changing them out this weekend. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
You may want to take a guitar string or something equivalent and clean the little holes in the fluid reservoir when you change the fluid. sometimes those little holes get plugged and can affect clutch performance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So I have been having some issues lately with the clutch. I have noticed that my clutch lever has been real tight and when I start my bike it only takes minimum pressure to start it. If I squeeze the level all the way my bike will not start, I have to squeeze slightly to engage. Another issue is when I go from neutral to first the bike "lunges" like it wants to take off and then it shuts down. I have to time it just right with the throttle so that it engages. This happens even when the the clutch is engaged. I have to have the brake on just in case. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my issue is? As everyone is aware my clutch is hydraulic and the levels look to be ok. I plan on changing them out this weekend. Thanks in advance.
The clutch plates on these bikes can be a bit sticky and cause that 'lunge' when dropped in gear, particularly when they're started up from cold, so what you're experiencing there is not unusual. A few pulls of the clutch once running and in neutral will help alleviate this.

The start/no start condition you describe points to a faulty (probably just dirty or loose) clutch master cylinder interlock switch. On a related note - the bike will die immediately when you put it in gear (i.e. anywhere other than neutral) with the kickstand down (if the clutch switch is goofy).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts