Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 - Is it possible for the clutch cable to strech?
2 - If it has streched, can you adjust the lever to account for that stretch?

I think my lever may be bottoming out against the grip before completely disengaging the clutch. Not enough to cause the bike to move, but just a little bit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Jeep Pirate I would think over time it could strech, but im not 100% of that.
I have the oppisit problem. Mine is almost all the way out before it engages / disengags the clutch. IT has been this way since I have had the bike. I bought it used and was kinda thinking the clutch had just about had it and needs to be replaced.

Tim

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Jeep, yes, it is possible for the cable to stretch slightly, and also for some wear in the clutch plate to show up at the clutch lever. This will show as the lever being loose and sorta flopping around when there's no pressure on it.

If you look at the area where the cable enters the lever, you'll notice two knurled 'knobs'.

You can loosen the larger, thinner one first, then twist the smaller one out to take up the slack. Re-tighten the larger one and you're good to go.

Although i haven't checked on our 900s, on my old Hondas i could make an adjustment in the clutch plate area once the lever adjustment played out. I'm not sure if we can do that or not, but certainly you can at least start at the lever.

I found this link that gives you a good idea of what i'm talking about:
Adjusting your clutch cable

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Jeep, All control cables stretch. The more tension you have on it, the more and quicker it stretches. Your clutch cable takes a lot more force than it feels like so it stretches more than the throttle cables less than a brake cable would (if this bike used one). First line of defense is the adjusting nuts at the handle as Helek said. I checked the service manual and you can also adjust it at the other end, but it looks like a bigger job than I would have expected. First step is to remove the exhaust!. If the cable is adjusted properly, you should completely release the clutch about halfway to grip. You don't say how new the bike is so you may want to have the dealer or a mechanic check it out (and show you how to make adjustments yourself)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I concur with Helek and Steve, but would add that my 2010 900 Classic has another adjustment point in the middle of the cable. It's down on the frame, near the radiator. I don't believe that the cable could stretch to the point that the adjustments wouldn't work. I believe that it would break, before it ever reached that point.

All of the adjustment points have lock nuts/wheels. When you make your final adjustment, make sure that those locks are secured fairly tight.

I just checked the service manual for 900 Classics, 2006-2010. It indicates that your bike should have the middle adjustment point and that adjusting the cable play should be done first at the grip, then at the middle point and lastly at the bottom of the cable. The manual calls for 2 to 3mm of free play in the clutch lever. That free play is measured at the gap you can see at the front of the clutch lever where it mates to the rigid portion that they call the lever holder.

I hope you can understand my description of the gap. When I read it, I think maybe it looks as clear as mud... :( If you don't understand, I'll take a photo to show you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think I get it now. I will mess around with it this weekend. Mine is an '07 Classic and is out of warranty. But I have done most of the work on it so far with no troubles. This doesn't seem to hard. I will say that it looks like the Kawi engineers thought the bike through pretty well when designing it. All except for that grease fitting on the bottom. Of course, it only took them 4 years to figure that one out.
Cheers!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Jeep Pirate I would think over time it could strech, but im not 100% of that.
I have the oppisit problem. Mine is almost all the way out before it engages / disengags the clutch. IT has been this way since I have had the bike. I bought it used and was kinda thinking the clutch had just about had it and needs to be replaced.

Tim
TWP, I have the same problem! Almost all the way before engaging/disengaging.
I was also thinking the clutch was on the way out but my bike, a 07 model, has only 16000 km (9941 mi) on the clock so I don't think so...The clutch works fine, no slipping, if it was going it would slip...What's your mileage?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also thinking the clutch was on the way out but my bike, a 07 model, has only 16000 km (9941 mi) on the clock so I don't think so...The clutch works fine, no slipping, if it was going it would slip...What's your mileage?
I am at about 25000 miles. And the clutch damn well better not be going bad this early. I seriously think it is the cable. I just need to stop running long enough to mess with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I only have 6100 on the bike. I am the 3rd owner. It does not slip at all. I just would like it to engage / disengage a little closer to the grip. It might just be me to. This is my first street bike.

Tim

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well Jeep P, 25000 mil is quite good, but yes, it should last longer (depends on how one is using it I guess).

TWP, I think we will have to play with the adjustment settings at the radiator level, it will be guess work I think as I don't know if we have to tighten it or give it more slack...
Please let me know if you manage to fix this.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I just checked the service manual for 900 Classics, 2006-2010. It indicates that your bike should have the middle adjustment point and that adjusting the cable play should be done first at the grip, then at the middle point and lastly at the bottom of the cable. The manual calls for 2 to 3mm of free play in the clutch lever. That free play is measured at the gap you can see at the front of the clutch lever where it mates to the rigid portion that they call the lever holder.
Yes, 2-3mm is the correct adjustment but I believe that is with slight pressure on the clutch lever, enough to take up the slack. If there is 2-3mm gap/free play with no pressure on the lever it's too loose.

The attached is from VN2K service manual but specs and adjustment seem the same.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts