Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone experianced your clutch not letting go completely when you try to stop. I am rolling up on 49,000 miles on an 07 model. I think the disk just need changed, I just want to make sure anyone else has had the problem and found out what it was.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My 500 does that a little bit when it's cold, just a little. Once it's hot, not at all. And I changed the cable not long ago and set it to spec setting and have tried several adjustments since, still happens when cold. But my clutch needs changed too, getting pretty worn at 37 or so thousand miles.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Huh?

Has anyone experienced your clutch not letting go completely when you try to stop. I am rolling up on 49,000 miles on an 07 model. I think the disk just need changed, I just want to make sure anyone else has had the problem and found out what it was.
Guys these clutches are "wet" clutches meaning they are bathed in oil and have very little wear. They should last the lifetime of the bike unless they have been abused. The most common problem of a dragging clutch is improper adjustment.:confused:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'm no clutch expert but at first pass I'd think a worn clutch would tend to slip, not stay partially engaged.

Cold oil can cause more drag, and certainly too much free play in the adjustment may not fully disengage the clutch.

I think the free play is supposed to be something like 2-3mm. So, when you put just enough pressure on the clutch lever to take up the freeplay/slack there should be 2-3mm gap open up between the lever and the part that mounts on the handlebar.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I'm no clutch expert but at first pass I'd think a worn clutch would tend to slip, not stay partially engaged. Cold oil can cause more drag, and certainly too much free play in the adjustment may not fully disengage the clutch. I think the free play is supposed to be something like 2-3mm. So, when you put just enough pressure on the clutch lever to take up the freeplay/slack there should be 2-3mm gap open up between the lever and the part that mounts on the handlebar.
If adjusting the clutch cable at the lever does not solve the problem then it may require pulling the clutch cover and checking the clutch disengagment pin and mechanism. There may be a problem with the amount of travel this mech is performing... too little. It should be simple enuff to check for proper throw out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the clutch cable out a few months ago but this problem did not start untill week before last. I have also adjusted the cable six ways to Sunday and still the same. I have also been experiancing the bike shifting itself into first gear while sitting idle. It will also down shift to first sometimes after I shift to second. I do not know if they are related and the dealer does not have enough experiance with this bike as I have the only one in town and surrounding areas. Is there another adjustment somewhere for the clutch?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
...the dealer does not have enough experiance with this bike as I have the only one in town and surrounding areas. Is there another adjustment somewhere for the clutch?
Sounds like it's time to get a factory service manual. Often, you can buy a PDF download of the complete manual on eBay for very few dollars. Probably can find one for free if you search around enough.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
badbreath, here is a pic of the shift forks. what it looks like on the otherside of the shift link. If you are having problem with it shifting on its own, it would have to happen in here...somehow.? the covers is easy enough to remove, if your exhaust system is not in the way. The book would tell more what to do to make adjustments. Is your shift linkage good, or is it sloppy bad?

·
Registered
319 Posts
clutch

Slowriver, as as Poncho said, usually a shift fork problem. Post this on the Delphi forums, it's been extensivly talked about over there

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I changed the clutch cable out a few months ago but this problem did not start untill week before last. I have also adjusted the cable six ways to Sunday and still the same. I have also been experiancing the bike shifting itself into first gear while sitting idle. It will also down shift to first sometimes after I shift to second. I do not know if they are related and the dealer does not have enough experiance with this bike as I have the only one in town and surrounding areas. Is there another adjustment somewhere for the clutch?
Just a bit of friendly advice from a professional troubleshooter...

When asking "what's wrong" give all the info and history of the problem and what you've done up front. The problems usually get sorted out faster that way rather than having us give you a bunch of worthless suggestions. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine has bone this most of its life, and I bought it new, looking at around 57K miles now. also an 07.... I pulled my cover and really could not see anything wrong. I did change my steal plates, which worked great for about 4 months. I am back in the same place again as you are, and it doesn't make it easy to change gears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts