Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I know theres a lot of knowledge out there... I have had my 05 v2k for about 6 or 7 months and I have been threw 3 clutch cables. My clutch is so hard to pull in that I have started having wrist issues. I have replaced the clutch plates, springs and cable again but it is still tight.. I did search the forums but only found a similar issue with a vn 900 where they installed an "Easy Clutch" IS this a problem others are experianceing or know how to fix??

At this point im going broke and the wife is not happy...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Which end is the cable breaking on?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Are you able to take a picture and post it for us?

I'd like to see the area where the cable attaches to itself (the part that is on the bottom of the bike).

I'm wondering if that is not attached correctly.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would go back through the whole system and inspect every component. It is a very simple system, so it should be easy to diagnose.

1. Make sure the cable is not kinked or routed incorrectly (breaking at the clutch lever would be an indication of this).
2. Too many clutch plates in the pack. Springs would be bottomed out already so you can't compress them any with the lever.
3. Actuator lever in the cover is binding or bent making it difficult to rotate.
4. Wrong or too stiff of clutch spring.

Not sure if you have looked through the manual or not but I would if you haven't, to make sure everything is in its proper order.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
breaking

well first time it frayed then broke near the lever.. both other times the round piece that is soldered/welded?? on tip of wire has been pulled off... (shop says its not the cable its the pressure) and the pressure is really rough.. I am at work at the moment so no pics but maybe i can scrounge some up..

Cable attaches to itself?? ( you mean where there is a set of nuts to connecting to pieces of cable and you can loosen it ? that spot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ david I have looked through manule and 2 seperate shops have looked at it as well.. You would think the shop could fix this.. i have tried to find softer springs thinking it would make a dif. But only found harder ones...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@david.. just noticed your from forney!! I went to high school there!! not the same as it was back then.. walmart ruining it.. small world man...lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yep, it's gotten a lot bigger in the last 7yrs.

Are you sure the actuator is smooth and that you don't have too many fiber/steel plates in the pack?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im sure of nothing.. but 757 cycles here just now replaced all the clutch plates.. I would like to think they didnt put to many in??

·
Registered
578 Posts
Assume nothing! Work on your own stuff, then you will know.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. Is the free play adjusted according to specifications? There are two places to adjust the cable.
2. Is the clutch fairly easy to pull at first but then gets much harder as the lever nears the grips?
3. How many miles on it?
4. If it is pulling the ends off, the cable strain is too high.
5. When the clutch lever is released, is there any free play in the clutch release lever at the other end of the cable down under the engine?
6. Is the clutch release lever installed correctly?
7. Was this hard pull present from the day you bought it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also mate if you just want to work out if the problem is inside motor or outside motor, disconnect clutch cable at motor end, move clutch lever on handlebar in and out, lever and cable should all move with no resistance at all. You should then know where to start looking.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Also mate if you just want to work out if the problem is inside motor or outside motor, disconnect clutch cable at motor end, move clutch lever on handlebar in and out, lever and cable should all move with no resistance at all. You should then know where to start looking.
That's a darn good ideal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts