Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I read in a forum here in Sweden about some owners of VN 1700:s having problems with clutch slave cylinders sticking.
Seems like there's water and dirt collecting behind the cover over the cylinder, causing the piston and the cylinder to stick. The result is a clutch that won't engage fully when you release the handle..........
Kawasaki doesn't seem to have a fix for this problem yet, but the fix recommended on this forum is to hone the cylinder out, clean the piston of the slave cylinder and reassemble it with a rubber membrane in front of the cylinder when putting it on the engine again.
The membrane is made to fit in the cylinder, in front of the piston as I understand it, and is held in place by beeing in between the cylinder and the housing.

Don't know if anyone of you has had this problem, but if so perhaps this might be of some use

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have experienced this with my '09 VV 1700

I cleaned it out and sprayed the inside with wd40, wiped off the excess and reassembled. No problems for the last 30,000 miles since, I have made cleaning this out as part of my maintenance now...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that sounds like a good idea, cleaning it out periodically.
I will have to look into that on my own bike, preferably before it becomes a problem!

·
Registered
440 Posts
hi, where is this cover? sounds interesting. and how hard is it to do? my clutch feels like it slips once in a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi!
I read in a forum here in Sweden about some owners of VN 1700:s having problems with clutch slave cylinders sticking.
Seems like there's water and dirt collecting behind the cover over the cylinder, causing the piston and the cylinder to stick. The result is a clutch that won't engage fully when you release the handle..........
Kawasaki doesn't seem to have a fix for this problem yet, but the fix recommended on this forum is to hone the cylinder out, clean the piston of the slave cylinder and reassemble it with a rubber membrane in front of the cylinder when putting it on the engine again.
The membrane is made to fit in the cylinder, in front of the piston as I understand it, and is held in place by beeing in between the cylinder and the housing.

Don't know if anyone of you has had this problem, but if so perhaps this might be of some use

Windbreaker, could you provide more information on this membrane, please? The slave cylinder has to go through the pulley cover, so no room for a membrane around the outside. And the clutch push rod needs to contact the piston so there must be a hole in this membrane for it to pass through. Maybe the membrane just sits in front of the piston inside the cylinder bore?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Garry!
I'm afraid I don't have any further information about that membrane. Just read about the problem in a forum in Sweden, and the owner of the bike had it repaired at a local shop where the mechanic had come up with this idea to hone the cylinder out a bit to get it real clean, and then he had made some kind of membrane and put it in/on the cylinder to prevent dirt from entering again.
I now have taken a look in my repair manual to try to get an idea how he could have done it, but as you say the slave cylinder goes through the pulley cover and seems to
be quite open on the inner side "behind" the cover. If dirt collects behind the pulley cover I guess it may enter into the cylinder, but any membrane has to be fitted to stay inside the cylinder itself I guess? I am definately going to take a closer look at this on my own bike cause it seems to have a potential to give problems to the clutch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is it a rubber boot / bellows that slips over the piston/pushrod?

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is a dust cover. It is supposed to keep crud out of the cylinder sleeve. Item E. Just check it for cracks.... if it is cracked replace it. Keep soapy water off of it. It dries out rubber. Spray it with silicon after washing with soap in that area.

View attachment 64745
You are showing the master cylinder, Windbreaker was referring to the slave cylinder which has no such dust cover.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
OK.. never mind... I have not had that apart yet... previous post deleted...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yea I've read about the problem awhile back and the boot some folks have fabbed up to try and fix it. It appears Kawa left it open where muddy debris can get into the slave area.

It sounded like if you ride in muddy wet conditons, it was only a matter of time not if it will happen.

I imagine once we all get it apart (when it happens to us) we will see more of what kind of rubber or vinyl boot we have to fit it there. Does sound like Kawa dropped the ball on this design. We could hold our breath for a recall (lol) or just plan on fixing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, but the clutch seems to be slipping when the engine is cold (or bike was standing for a few days), and it's back to normal after 5 minutes of riding. will take it apart and have a look at this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts