Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 1500fi classic.
I have had an intermittent problem with my clutch. Start the bike in neutral, pull clutch lever in and shift into first, the bike wants to pull forward while the clutch lever is still pulled in. I drained and bled the hydraulics a few months ago ,and got some milky stuff out. Cleaned the port in the resivoire, getting a good stream through it when lever is pulled. This seemed to have fixed the problem for awhile but the problem returned. I just pulled the slave cylinder, and the piston extends when I pull the lever in and retracts slightly when I release it. It moves the piston fully, in the first half of clutch lever pull. I can push the piston in a little farther with my thumb after lever is released.
Is there anything else I need to check before I bolt the slave cylinder back down?
Does this indicate that my hydraulics are working properly?

I have just finished replacing the clutch spring and installing Judges spacer. Started the bike and experienced the condition described above. The bike has a little over 20,000 miles on it. The spring was heavily grooved.
I am pretty confident that I got all the hardware in the correct order. I used the Judges instructions,( diagram included with kit) as well as Gadgets instructions which made the job easy. THANK YOU GADGET!!!
Where do I go from here? Could the clutch just be sticking after sitting for two weeks ? Could my clutch hose be the culprit? Or do I need to go back into the clutch? (Did not remove clutch plates during this job.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE; pulled the case cover back off...when I pull in the clutch lever, only the front half of the basket/clutch plates move. The side facing the rear tire doesn't move.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Hmm. I don't understand how you're actuating the clutch lever with the case cover off, but I would expect the basket and plates to move evenly. It certainly sounds like something is hanging up or broken. If you rotate the basket, does the same section stay in place, or is it still what ever section faces the back of the bike? My first thought is that you have a broken spring causing uneven pressure, resulting in the canted movement of the basket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Steve. I pulled the case back off and the limiter springs must have slipped and gotten bent on reinstall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts