Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode the Voyager to work this morning every thing worked like a clock as usual. When I got off this afternoon I let it warm up while I was gearing up for the ride home like I always do got on the bike pulled in the clutch kicked down into 1st and the bike lurched forward and died. Repeat, same result so I got off and looked everything over. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir, no visible leaks any where so I ran the adjuster all the way out and tried again. It worked well enough for me to make it out of the parking lot so I headed home. Once on the road I noticed the clutch lever had almost no tension to it at all. Up shifting pulling in the leaver seemed to help a little not much but down shifting was a no go period! I had to match my rpms so it would go into a lower gear. Finding neutral was impossible so I had to hit the kill switch at stops and start in gear.

When I got it home and up on the jack with the cover plate off still no obvious problems. I had planned on bleeding the line this weekend any way so that was my 1st step. After the second triple squeeze release the clutch lever firmed up so I thought "YES" just a little air but I have never had one act quite like this before. After finishing the fluid change there is no change in the clutch. While still on the jack I started the bike pulled in the clutch and dropped it in 1st same result it went into gear like no clutch had been applied and died. After this happened I checked the oil and it was well over the range marks on the dip stick. I thought I had done something wrong so I checked it 2 more times and it was the same. After 30 minutes it was still at 3/4 of the range. I checked it 2 days ago and it was in the middle or at 1/2 on the range.

This is a 2009 Voyager 1700 with 25,000 miles on it. I have owned it since last December and have put just over 3000 miles on it in that time.

Any body heard of anything like this on a 1700?

·
Banned
179 Posts
A piece of dirt in the master will cause this problem but most likely a pit in the cylinder is the culprit. Take the master off and pull it apart then see if it needs honed out to clean it up then put a rebuild kit in it. That should get it back to normal operating for some time to come again.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A piece of dirt in the master will cause this problem but most likely a pit in the cylinder is the culprit. Take the master off and pull it apart then see if it needs honed out to clean it up then put a rebuild kit in it. That should get it back to normal operating for some time to come again.
I had it fixed and didn't know it. When I went out and looked at it this morning I realized that after changing the fluid and trying it out I had left the kick stand down(duh huh). I have had hydraulic clutch problems before but none acted like this.

Inkydoggy, you may be right about the cause so just in case I will add a bottle of fluid and some tubing to my on board tool kit for a while. It makes no sense to me that an air bubble can travel that far down hill. The reservoir was over 2/3rds full and the fluid was only slightly discolored so I don't think it came from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts