Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've tried searching the forum, but I'm not sure my exact instance is covered.
I've had my 900LT since May 3rd. Normally it runs just fine, but there are times when the shifting seems off.

I've noticed that at times when I shift through gears, the actual shift sounds different. Sometimes I heard a good strong pop as it locks in place, and I can feel the gear engage. Other times, it's silent and I feel virtually nothing.

On 4 or 5 occasions now, I've been coming up to a redlight / stop sign, and when I hit the shift peg, I have nothing. It's like the shift arm is not hitting anything; it's just loose. I've learned that if I release the clutch back to the point of hitting the friction zone, it will pop and then I can change gears.

This is virtually a brand new bike; I bought it with 1,650 miles. Currently it's sitting at a little over 4,000.

Is this user error, or something readily identified?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So I've tried searching the forum, but I'm not sure my exact instance is covered.
I've had my 900LT since May 3rd. Normally it runs just fine, but there are times when the shifting seems off.

I've noticed that at times when I shift through gears, the actual shift sounds different. Sometimes I heard a good strong pop as it locks in place, and I can feel the gear engage. Other times, it's silent and I feel virtually nothing.

On 4 or 5 occasions now, I've been coming up to a redlight / stop sign, and when I hit the shift peg, I have nothing. It's like the shift arm is not hitting anything; it's just loose. I've learned that if I release the clutch back to the point of hitting the friction zone, it will pop and then I can change gears.

This is virtually a brand new bike; I bought it with 1,650 miles. Currently it's sitting at a little over 4,000.

Is this user error, or something readily identified?
I've actually noticed something similar with my bike. BRAND freaking new, 2014 bought in May straight out of the crate, currently sitting with 1,500 miles on it. Sometimes I shift, and hear nothing, feel nothing, so I think somehow I didn't shift hard enough, so I tap it again and this time feel the positive shift, but it turns out the first time DID shift, and I've now bumped up two gears instead of one... No clue why, just learning I need to trust that the shift took.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This sounds pretty normal to me. I experienced similar things when my bike was new. Once it wears in a bit (and you get used to the feel) it’ll be fine.

This is more likely to happen on quick / panic deceleration if you’re not letting the clutch out between down-shifts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think this is normal. The bike shifts easier when it is moving. If you come to a stop and then try to downshift you will find it difficult unless you release the clutch a bit, like you said. If instead you downshift through the gears while it is still rolling I suspect you will have a much easier time of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this is normal. The bike shifts easier when it is moving. If you come to a stop and then try to downshift you will find it difficult unless you release the clutch a bit, like you said. If instead you downshift through the gears while it is still rolling I suspect you will have a much easier time of it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually still rolling when this happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm under 6000 miles, and occasional my shifting sticks too.

When it happens, it's usually between 3rd and 2nd. Rolling to a stop, clutch in, try to shift down (still rolling), but hits a floor like it's already in first .. but it's still in 3rd. Try again and it shifts into 2nd with a clunk, then goes into 1st like normal. Similar thing shifting up, usually from 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes 3rd to 4th.

Should have changed the oil from the PO first thing (600 miles ago), but I'm finally getting to it this weekend. Mobil1 Racing 4t 10w-40. We'll see if that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you inspected the shift linkage to ensure the bolts are tight and the link bar is moving smoothly? Some hard and some smooth shifts are pretty normal. Could just be foot position and your foot movement during shifting. As noted above, how the bike is loaded (loading within the crank case and gears) plays a role in how the shift feels.

... Larry S.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update on my shifting issue.

Changing to Mobil1 10w-40 did the trick. I went on a 3-hour ride and shifting in all gears was smooth as silk. Seems like it ran cooler too.

The old oil didn't look bad (like dark honey but not burnt or anything), so maybe the PO used car oil or put in the wrong weight. Anyway, it's all good now.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Shifting issues

This all sounds normal to me. I have learned to down shift while rolling to a stop. Some like to sit in neutral and star gaze and then hit the shifter when the light changes, don't work well on this bike. Shift while rolling or let the clutch out between shifts or gears. I learned the hard way trying to shift sitting still horns blasting driving fingers everywhere.

·
Registered
847 Posts
oil

One more time for the oil brigade. I use 10-40 Mobil synthetic. They say, whom ever they are that it runs 10 degrees cooler than Dino oil. 20-50 is just too heavy for a liquid cooled bike..

·
Registered
72 Posts
As you probably already know, when a bike is "breaking-in", the clutch cable will stretch and you will get too much free play at the lever causing the clutch to not fully dis-engage.
This is very normal. Check you manual for the proper amount of free play at the lever and adjust it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts