Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Nomad now has27000 miles on it, and a few days ago I started hearing a squealing sound as I was letting off the clutch leaver starting off. It seems to be louder while carrying a passenger or starting off while on a hill but it don't seem to be slipping while riding. I'm running Rotella t6 5w40 and it's time to change "5000" miles. Any suggestions about what may be going on. Will the oil have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Check your belt.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just recently checked the belt and reajusted it due to a chirping noise i'm hearing coming from somewhere while riding. A dealer kept in the shop a week trying to locate that noise and couldn't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sound like a problem I hade before.
Due to a less successful design / placement of clutch slave cylinder, water and dirt get into the slave cylinder back. It is exposed to the elements and rust, I did have this problem last year. I cleaned it and greased the push bar that disengage the clutch. Think Kawasaki Is aware of this problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come to think ouf it I had the slave cylinder off a couple of weeks ago checking the front pulley and belt, but didn't remove the rod, and i thought it looked like it might have a little rust on it. I'll pull it back off and clean it up some and grease it a little and see how it does. Thanks a lot!!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Or it could be the clutch slave cylinder.....:D

bikecustom70........ was you the one where the clutch would not engage, and after cleaning the slave cylinder it worked fine?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sir that wasn't me but thanks. I'll let you know if this works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed and cleaned the slave cylinder and the rod last night and I'm pretty sure it solved the noise problem. I think I actually I have more clutch. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K. Guys now that i have the noise in the clutch resolved I'll throw this other problem at ya. I've got this kinda chirping noise coming from somewhere When I'm in 4th,5th, & 6th. gear and the bike is in a slight pull the noise can be heard good. One dealer kept it for about a week trying to locate it but couldn't. I've notice on the outside of the drive belt there is about 8 inches of the belt that is very shiney like that portion of the belt is making contact with the rear pulley. I've made several adjustment to the rear wheel alignment but nothing seems to make the noise go away or stop the belt from rubbing. Any suggestions????

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Belt is too loose.... sounds like lugging chirp....

When you aligned the wheel did you rotate the wheel to make sure the belt stayed centered the best you could get it and was not rubbing on the edge of the wheel pulley? My belt has a little wiggle in it and it was hard to get it truly centered on the wheel pulley. But putting power and torque on the belt makes the engine move to the left (rubber mounted engine) and that will change the alignment some.

A too loose or non aligned or slightly loose COLD belt will cause lugging/power chirp. Usually a cold chirping belt will stop chirping when it warms up.

A tight belt whines....

·
Registered
481 Posts
My belt will chirp when it's really cold out but goes away after a mile or two. When it's warm out it never chirps. I did loosen my belt right from the getgo, the factory gets them way too tight when the belt and pulley are cool, then when they heat up they're like a banjo string. Harley does the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts