Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my cable for the 2nd time in 24K miles. Has anyone else had this issue on their V2K? Once again I felt a slip on the lever and before I knew it I was having to do hard shifting while looking for a way to a parking lot from a heavily trafficed street all the while hoping someone wouldn't get in front of me and do some crawling. Once in the parking lot finding neutral was no problem.

Now just waiting for my cable to come in but figured I should order a second one in case I need to replace again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
been through two on two different V2K. first one was down to one strand. hardly got 5000 miles out of them. read wild bills post and i am going to check mine again tonight and look for an aftermarket cable. got me thinking of what i would do with a broke cable in gear at speed. would hitting the kill switch lock up the rear? would be a couple of stressful seconds trying to smash the bike into neutral.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are all affected. I bought spare cables with my bike. Seems strange, but cables always fail, when the dealer is closed.
Have learned it the hard way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
cable

I had to replace my cable for the 2nd time in 24K miles. Has anyone else had this issue on their V2K? Once again I felt a slip on the lever and before I knew it I was having to do hard shifting while looking for a way to a parking lot from a heavily trafficed street all the while hoping someone wouldn't get in front of me and do some crawling. Once in the parking lot finding neutral was no problem.

Now just waiting for my cable to come in but figured I should order a second one in case I need to replace again.
Get Barnett stainless steel, 40,000 miles, no trouble. Mine broke at 20,000, now have 60,000

·
Registered
563 Posts
30,000 miles on my '06 and never an issue, but I have made a point of lubing the cable a few times every season, especially if I get caught in the rain. I have a spare in my saddlebag just in case.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ I have made a point of lubing the cable a few times every season, especially if I get caught in the rain.]

How much of a hassle is it to lube the cable and what lube is best?

Just got my cable and installed it. Clutch seems easier, more smooth on gear changes. LOVE IT.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The first time I noticed my clutch handle pulling harder I was on a trip, stopped in at a HD store, borrowed their clutch lube tool -just a hand oil pump with a needle tip. When I got home I went to our Kawi dealer and bought a small tube that you squeeze, has a needle tip so you can get right into the cable at the top. Do that a few tiems plus lube at the bottom wherever you can get it in the cable and the mechanism. Do that a few times and you will be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i effin knew it was going to happen again after reading about the other cable failures, but i checked the cable before every ride and wasnt too worried since i just replaced this one last fall and barely had 5000 miles on it. complete design flaw. luckily i was close to a buddies house and he let me scoot into his garage and gave me a ride home. this will make three broken cables in a year.

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
i effin knew it was going to happen again after reading about the other cable failures, but i checked the cable before every ride and wasnt too worried since i just replaced this one last fall and barely had 5000 miles on it. complete design flaw. luckily i was close to a buddies house and he let me scoot into his garage and gave me a ride home. this will make three broken cables in a year.
Go aftermarket...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have just on 34000 Kilometres on my 09 V2K and all cables not just the clutch are fine and I have just completed a 6700 KLM trip with no issues. I have always been a big believer in lubricating cables and everything else especially after all the rain we have had of late. So after I clean the bike all cables will be checked and lubricated.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last year My cable went out, but I ride everyday, no really she is never in a garage! I am all about "No Maintenance" upgrades.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Not sure how you conclude it's a design flaw. I have 15k, give or take, on mine and there isn't so much as a single broken strand in the cable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not sure how you conclude it's a design flaw. I have 15k, give or take, on mine and there isn't so much as a single broken strand in the cable.
all of mine have snapped at the button on the lever. the movable cover on the button hits the cable and is a friction point. im glad you havent blown a cable yet, but if you ride with the stock cables it will happen. if they had failed at different parts of the cable i would chalk it up to good ole bad luck, but this has to be a flaw. it has happened to other cables on other bikes. and for the record she is garage kept and gets cleaned more than i do. and riden more than i do. fml

·
Registered
294 Posts
button on lever

When mine popped, I looked very close at what was the cause and I think that shiney little button thar acts as a spacer actually cut through the cable over time. So when I put the new one on, I took my needlenose plyers and bent it back right where it touched the cable so it couldn't do that again. I also keep it oiled now with 3in1 oil . I think over time the shiney cover grabs the button on the end of the cable if it is not oiled and can move freely. Bad design. I think the shiney thing was put on there to keep the button from wearing out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts